Show me your knobs!

Started by John Lyons, March 16, 2006, 05:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lyons

Here are a few of the knobs I like. Unfortunately most of them are not available any more.

The ones that say new are the the chicken head knobs you get at smallbear and other places.
The ones that say mouser..well...you get at mouser.
Any one have any of their own that they use and like a lot?

John

Some of the knobs I have used and have around. The Radio shack knobs are pretty close to the 70's ones.
I've used those a bit on amps and pedals.
The Harmon knobs are nics because they are such a low profile. I'm thinking of trying to make some similar to these.
Now if I could just get a box of those 40's ones and some sililar but smaller.

Various chickenhead knobs. I like the mouser ones as far as being available still.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Guitar Toad

I don't have any to show you at the moment. But, thanks for showing those. That's a great display. I need to get some of those Mouser Chicken heads and that triangular shaped knob in the on the right of the lower pic.

calpolyengineer

I personally love the small, black fluted silver center knobs from smallbear (SKU 0807), plus they are cheap.

-Joe

Paul Marossy

I'm with calpolyengineer, I like those knobs, too. And you can even get them at RadioShack still...  :icon_wink:

EDIT: I also like the knobs on the Fuzz Factory. Those are cool.

shanter

http://www.oep.com/index.html

they've got hundreds of knobs...never ordered from them but im thinkin about it.

runmikeyrun

I like the 40's knobs.  I have the triangular ones on my budda pedal.  I don't like them because they are easily bumped and moved because they are so big and clunky.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Peter Snowberg

Great link Shanter! Thanks. 8)

No knob thread would be complete without: http://www.daviesmolding.com/  :icon_biggrin:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Noplasticrobots

I take a pretty opinionated stance on knobs for stompboxes. I have an extreme dislike towards any knobs that are straight and cylindrical, they've got have some sort of fluting or something. If they don't, they look like they're off some disco kickin 70's stereo system. I don't like large flat knobs because they occupy too much space. I don't like aluminum knobs either, especially knurled aluminum. I can tolerate anaodized black aluminum knobs though. For these reasons alone, I think it's safe to say I should never attempt to to sell pedals, because they'll only appeal to me!

Those triangular ones are awesome. They'd match a Flying V or other similair era gibson. I'm still a fan of the rat shack fluted knobs myself.

Part number 43022 on this page is a beautiful knob!
http://www.oep.com/Products/Pointer/pointer4.htm

When I inherited a bunch of components from my grandpa, there was a few old wooden Zenith knobs with a Z stamped into them. The knobs came off of old TVs. For being wood, they've stood the test of time pretty well-no cracks or anything.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

John Lyons

Some of my faves from OEP.
Why do I get the suspicion that they are never gong to sell small quanities! Or even to the public.
Anyone know about this site / company?

Small bear has some davies knobs, does davies sell smaller quantities?

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

phaeton

Quote from: shanter on March 16, 2006, 06:48:19 PM
http://www.oep.com/index.html

they've got hundreds of knobs...never ordered from them but im thinkin about it.

They have some amazing stuff there, most of which I've seen before on other equipment, some of which i haven't.

I kinda doubt that you can order anything less than thousands from them at a time, tho...
Stark Raving Mad Scientist

343 Salty Beans

I dig those OEP knobs, basic  8)

I dunno why, but aluminum knobs have always had a sex appeal to me. There's something classier about metal knobs...although a few of those OEPs (especially that 43022) can give aluminums a run for their money.

Here's a few of my faves I've found on OEP so far:

How many of those fit a typical alpha 16mm pot, I don't know...

Lonzo

........you said "knob"

cheers....

'zo

brett

Hi.
I scavenge almost all of my knobs.  There's a local second-hand dealer that (gasp) throws away old valve radios and early transistor radios and TV sets.  Unfortunately, he has started locking his rubbish bin  :icon_cry: to keep me and others out.
I'll post a couple of picks of some knobs later tonight if I get a chance.
cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Brett, he must be a very unusual secondhand dealer if he won't take a small amount of money for those radios he's throwing away.. he's going to have to pay to tip them, anyhow!! Give him a try!

jrc4558

WHY, OH WHY!!! Why do people who throw away old valve radioz live in Australia and NOT in Toronto, Canada!!! Boo-hoo!

Paul Marossy

These are like the ones used on the Fuzz Factory. I think they're cool!  :icon_cool: