Confusion because of the name?

Started by ANDYEFFECT, March 17, 2006, 12:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANDYEFFECT

Because of confusion because of the name? 

I find strange that a name silly thing just causes such big confusion. 

I didn't have intention. 

It is it would not also post here schematic.   

I have pcb and Layout of maxon od-820 and I didn't make this. 

I think many worry for very little thing. 

Do many say that klon is a modified TS? They say that Banzai is klon, and everything is vanity. 

Excuse me

Peter Snowberg

The name is a trademark.

If the circuit is new, it should not be named after something that it is not.

Klon schematics will not be posted here. The same is true of ZVex, Teese, new ElectroHarmonix, and multiple others. Any circuit that claims to be one of these, or uses the trade name of one of these product links will be removed. This is at the request of the makers.

Bill Finnegan says that the Centaur is absolutely not a tube screamer circuit.

Thank you.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Mark Hammer

Don't worry too much about it Andyeffect.  :icon_smile:  Many well-meaning people here make mistakes.  Especially if their first language is not English.  It happens and everybody accepts it.

Quote from: ANDYEFFECT on March 17, 2006, 12:20:02 PM
I think many worry for very little thing. 

When someone only produces one kind of pedal and has invested a lot of money in it (remember that those boxes for the Klon are custom made) it can be a VERY big thing for them.  Their business depends on the reputation and sales of that one pedal.

Remember, also, that there are many pedals people have heard about but have never heard.  When someone says to them that some pedal they are using is "exactly the same as..." some famous pedal, how can you tell if it really IS "the same" or not?  If somebody builds something from a schematic that is *supposed* to be just like some famous pedal, and when you hear it you say to yourself "Well, THAT'S not very good!  I'm not impressed.", that reflects poorly on the real manufacturer, and maybe even on the reviewers you read in a magazine.

Part of why it is not such a "very little thing" is because of the very big power that rumours and reputations have.  For boutique pedal makers who rely on their reputation (because they can't afford lots of advertising like some other companies), saving their reputation and making a clear difference between their pedals and things that pretend to be their pedals is very important.

The reason why Peter stated the policy that he did is because we understand and respect the challenges facing boutique pedal makers here.  If you know something will hurt your brother, you try to avoid doing it.  That's all.  Sometimes it is hard for members here to understand how or why something will hurt their "brother".  We also try to give the bigger companies a good reason to come up with new ideas and products.  Electro-Harmonix is a much bigger company than Z-Vex, Klon, and others, but they have released some VERY interesting and innovative products in the last 2-3 years.  In some cases, they took a big chance, and they should be rewarded for doing that.  If we like to see products like that made available to us, we need to give these companies a chance to make some money from them so they have a reason to think of more good ideas.

JHS

Andrè, I've sent you this schem only für private use not for posting it here in the forum. If I want to publish some of my schems here I will do it and if I don't do it I have good reasons for that.

Andrè asked me for the KLON schem or something similar that can achieve that transparent boost so I sent him a schem of a booster that has a transparent boostsound similar to the KLON, that's while I name it  KLON_type_booster (I used this name to find it on my harddrive with the search function if I need it).

The booster has a complete different layout than the Centaur, and a complete different distorsion structure.
BTW the Centauer don't have any feedback diodes and the layout is way diffent compared to a TS.

JHS

blues

Hello All,
Please can you send me schem of this booster( for personal use).
Regards
blues

ANDYEFFECT

Quote from: JHS on March 17, 2006, 01:17:14 PM
Andrè, I've sent you this schem only für private use not for posting it here in the forum. If I want to publish some of my schems here I will do it and if I don't do it I have good reasons for that.

Andrè asked me for the KLON schem or something similar that can achieve that transparent boost so I sent him a schem of a booster that has a transparent boostsound similar to the KLON, that's while I name it  KLON_type_booster (I used this name to find it on my harddrive with the search function if I need it).

The booster has a complete different layout than the Centaur, and a complete different distorsion structure.
BTW the Centauer don't have any feedback diodes and the layout is way diffent compared to a TS.

JHS

as I said, my leisure is to do pedals, and I didn't have interest of winning money in this booster and yes something that is naive for me to pass. excuse me for this upset

ANDYEFFECT

Quote from: blues on March 17, 2006, 01:46:20 PM
Hello All,
Please can you send me schem of this booster( for personal use).
Regards
blues

please enter in contact with JHS because he didn't give me more authority to review this file it excuses.

blues

Hi Andy,
Thanks Andy for reply .I know that you are right.
And never mind everyone can do mistake.
Regards
blues

blues

Hi JHS,
Please can you send me schem for this gadgdet(personal use purpose).
Thanks advance.
Regards
blues

JHS

@blues

Please use the PM function or email me.

JHS

hairyandy

Hey JHS,

Why don't you rename the file it and post it for us all to check out?

Thanks,

Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

A.S.P.

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on March 17, 2006, 12:36:12 PM
The name is a trademark.

If the circuit is new, it should not be named after something that it is not.

Klon schematics will not be posted here. The same is true of ZVex, Teese, new ElectroHarmonix, and multiple others. Any circuit that claims to be one of these, or uses the trade name of one of these product links will be removed. This is at the request of the makers.

Bill Finnegan says that the Centaur is absolutely not a tube screamer circuit.

Thank you.

quite fresh:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43723.0
Analogue Signal Processing

aron

I would think that there's nothing wrong with saying "I played a mega-blaster and liked it" so I designed a new pedal that sounds better. Here it is....

Are these manufacturers saying that we can't even mention their product names? I know they might not want schematics posted with their name, but I would assume (maybe incorrectly) that we can at least talk about their pedals. If not, they have more important things to worry about than our DIY forum - try a multitude of other forums.

Another thing is that the entire DIY movement was founded from "looking" at circuit snippets. Same way with programming - you look at code. I don't see how people can expect others to not do what they themselves have done.

markr04

Preach it, Aron. Preach it! Right on...
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

A.S.P.

Quote"...they have released some VERY interesting and innovative products in the last 2-3 years.  In some cases, they took a big chance, and they should be rewarded for doing that.  If we like to see products like that made available to us, we need to give these companies a chance to make some money from them so they have a reason to think of more good ideas..."

Thanks Mark.

:icon_wink:

WGTP

The new one that was posted had different values in the tone stack.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

nelson

The tone stack is exactly the same as the green russian muff.

My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

A.S.P.