Bazz Fuss cutting out?

Started by Also Wik, March 18, 2006, 10:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Also Wik

Well I finally finished my first "successful" build, and it "works"

However, I find that when I'm playing, the sound will fade in and out, cut out then back in, etc. And there will be no sound if I try to play softly, I'ts very close to me having to beat the crap out of my strings to get a sound that wont cut out. Any ideas?

theblueark

Did you use Dragonfly's layout? There's an error in that one, just change the 10k resistor to a 100k and the bias will be correct.

Also Wik

No, I used the Home Wrecker perf layout, but I did somehow manage to put in a 10k instead of a 100k, I guess I just ordered the wrong one. I've got a salvaged 100k lying around I'll install and see if it works.

Also Wik

Replaced the resistor and now its working fine! Thanks for tipping meoff to the resistor thing, I would have never thought to look if I had gotten the wrong resistor  :(

It sounds great, but it sounds to me like more of a "mushy" (as aopposed to "harsh") distortion to me, than a fuzz. Then again I've never actually used a fuzz or hear one personally, So i wouldnt know.

Also Wik

One more thing. The note decay seems a little "sudden", taking ALOT away in the way of sustain, especially past the 5th fret and in the G, B, and e strings. Any reason for this? Any remedies?

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Also Wik on March 18, 2006, 11:16:02 PM
One more thing. The note decay seems a little "sudden", taking ALOT away in the way of sustain, especially past the 5th fret and in the G, B, and e strings. Any reason for this? Any remedies?

yes, a different pedal!  this is for bass afterall.
Try a little tenderness.

Also Wik

I assumed that this wasn't normal, since I havn't seen anything about this anywhere.

geertjacobs

There are a lot of results when you do a search on "bazz fuss gating".

Also Wik

Austin73

Not sure if I can be of help being a  newbie and all. But I've built 4 of these suckers in a week with various subtle changes. I built my first one that does what you describe with the gating effect (i thought this was normal). Then built one with 10uF input cap (apparently should be 3.3 u F for guitar so went wrong way! ) Also changed the diode for an LED which increased gain no end . Also on the third one added a 1n5401 huge diode which again added more sustain and gain (but more of a distortion than fuzz). I started a thread asking for mods that you might want to check out (try Bazz Fuss search)

But if you get bored try a BUZZ BOX as they are well cool and so easy to build.

Any  Problems give me a PM

Cheers

Austin
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Toney

Yours sounds like it's gating.
Try an mpsa 13 it will bias with 10k and is the poo with a bazz fuss.

Also Wik

Well, I tried swappign out with some red and green LEDs, and it definately helps the sustain, along with pumping the output up to no end. In the end I replaced the original components (except of course the 10k, I kept that changed to 100k!), and it sounds fantastical. After a while you get used to the note decay. I'm planning on a buzz box in the future so maybe that'll give me some more sustain and I'll just pull out the Bazz Fuss and throw in the Buzz Box instead.

Toney

Seriously, the note decay is due to misbiasing.
To get this thing really firing, get youself an mpsa13 start biasing at 10k , then go up to 22k if needed.
It will sing with that tranny.

Noplasticrobots

Definitely use an MPSA13 as suggested by Toney. This circuit is a great diving board for modding.
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

Also Wik

I'll look into that. Right now I'm happy to have two boxed builds (slapped my TS-808 into a large jewelry box  :D), And I've got the stuff for a Buzz Box, Easy Drive, and Ruby. But I'll DEFINATELY be trying the MPSA13, and rebiasing the Bazz Fuss. Thanks you guys!