Beavis FuzzLab is almost done!

Started by dano12, March 20, 2006, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

My first real attempt at a DIY pedal, four fuzzes and an octave all in one box.

Will it work, will it burst into fire? I can't wait to find out.

(More at http://www.beavisaudio.com/projects/FuzzLab/)

sta63bmx

You have officially lost your mind.  :icon_cool:  But that is incredibly pimp.  Are you measuring "battery" voltages for each stage with the meters?  Neat stuff.

burnt fingers

That may be the worlds most expensive fuzz box.  OCD anyone?  Just kidding.  You obviously love a challenge and that's where great things come from.  Congrats on the progress, can't wait for clips.

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Peter Snowberg

Very cool! 8) 8) 8)

I would love to hear clips too.  :icon_biggrin:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Noplasticrobots

Because of that stomp switch's placement, won't your foot mangle those toggles? Looks nice!
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

dano12

Quote from: sta63bmx on March 20, 2006, 06:26:11 PM
You have officially lost your mind.  :icon_cool:  But that is incredibly pimp.  Are you measuring "battery" voltages for each stage with the meters?  Neat stuff.

Yeah I lost my mind long ago. When I get into something new, I tend to go a bit overboard. This has been tremendously challenging, but I've learned a lot in the last two months (much thanks to this awesome forum.)

The voltmeters are for the adjustable 9V sag on each circuit.

dano12

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on March 20, 2006, 06:58:30 PM
Because of that stomp switch's placement, won't your foot mangle those toggles? Looks nice!

The stomp on the top panel is there temporarily until I figure out how to find a 3PDT switch. The actual footswitches are on the front slope, as in:

Back panel:

Noplasticrobots

Holy f-in crap! That looks awesome! Is that an LMB enclosure or homemade? And whoever asked about the meters measuring battery voltages-it doesn't matter. Meters look cool on everything. The only thing this thing needs is a Jacob's ladder on top!
I love the smell of solder in the morning.

dano12

Quote from: Noplasticrobots on March 20, 2006, 07:18:25 PM
Holy f-in crap! That looks awesome! Is that an LMB enclosure or homemade? And whoever asked about the meters measuring battery voltages-it doesn't matter. Meters look cool on everything. The only thing this thing needs is a Jacob's ladder on top!

Thanks dude. The box is indeed frim LMB Heeger out of Commerce, CA and the part # is MDC-1183.

I agree on meters. To keep costs down I ordered 5 of the cheapest ones I could find. For my next project (one boost, one overdrive and three distortions, plus an equalizer and stereo mixer), I'm going to top notch on all the meters!

Damn if this isn't the best hobby I've ever had.

twabelljr

Man, I want to play with that bad boy! Super job Dano12. I respect that you did not settle for less than you wanted and decided to flat out go for it, take the ideas in your head and make it real. I really like the patch cable idea also. It seems that with such a set-up you could insert a wah, a filter, or anything else you felt like in front of or behind anyone of your many fuzzes. Very versatile. Good job documenting the build too. Looking forward to the final results, Tommy
Shine On !!!

Paul Marossy

Holy cow! That's quite a "first real attempt".  :icon_eek:

choklitlove

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 20, 2006, 08:43:11 PM
i agree.  were the not-real attempts rockets?
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

aron

Great job, but is the metal thick enough. One big stomp... and.... uh oh.....

dano12

Quote from: choklitlove on March 21, 2006, 03:08:54 AM

To be fair, this my first *pedal* DIY attempt. I've always been a tinkerer, been pretty good at soldering and have a good basic understainding of electronics. Just to clarify :)

dano12

Quote from: aron on March 21, 2006, 03:12:38 AM
Great job, but is the metal thick enough. One big stomp... and.... uh oh.....

As with any prototype, there are going to be problems :) You're right about the LMB boxes, not nearly as thick and durable as a Hammond enclosure. I have some pieces of aluminum rail from an old medicince cabinet that will be cut for form bracing for the top edges and another one for a crossbar just below the stomp switches.

Regardless, this will be more of a basement warrior than a stage pedal.

freak scene

Quote from: choklitlove on March 21, 2006, 03:08:54 AM

haha no doubt.