Source resistor on a JFET boost or overdrive stage?

Started by lenwood, March 22, 2006, 01:12:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenwood

Changing the source resistor on a JFET design booster.

Does lowering it increase or decrease the gain/distortion?

I have searched and I just wanted some explanation on how this part affects this.

Thanks
Lennie

lenwood

Bump

Ok I have read about this but can someone explain it in common terms?
Lennie

JimRayden

Well, highering it makes the gain go down. And in my experience, soundwise, lowering doesn't make one damn ding to it, perhaps mess with the bias a bit.

------------
Jimbo

The Red Rooster

When designing circuits using transistors in general (Jfet, MOS and BJT) designers talk about 2 different situations:

a) DC

DC deals with how the transistor works without any AC input signal. This operating point is often called the Quesent point or Q-point, and deals with the current and voltages related to a standby situation of the specific circuit. Looking at a JFET in a self bias circuit, the designer would choose a drain current and a drain resistor utilizing a voltage at one half of the used supply voltage. This would insure the biggest possible symmetric voltage swing when working.

Inserting a source resistor results in a certain source voltage depending on the choosen Drain current and the specific JFET. Since we're looking at a self bias circuit the Gate voltage is 0V. This means that the Q-point will be determinated by the choosen Source resistor - the GS voltage is 0V - VRS.

Since all JFET's have af big variation in specs the choice of Source resistor is quiet importent. Choosing the right Source resistor makes it possible to control the Q-point in an acceptable range of allowable drain current variation.

b) AC

AC deals with how the transistor works with an AC input signal at a specific Q-point. 

A JFET has a transfer function describing its drain current as a function of the Gate-Source voltage. Drawing a tangent to this transfer function at any point gives you gm (Mutual Conductans). gm is an importent value used for calculating the AC amplification in a given Q-point. Please note that the gm is highly depending of the actual Q-point.

So to answer you question: "Does lowering it increase or decrease the gain/distortion?"

Yes, changing the value of Source resistor does change the gain of the circuit. The gain changes because you move the circuit Q-point at the transfer function. Doing this you also affects the available symmetric voltage swing at the Drain pin, this because a change in Q-point from half-supply will decrease the available unclipped output signal.

How to deal with this bias problem? I recommend doing a google search for application note AN102 by Siliconix.

Regards

Kurt

MartyMart

It depends on the specific circuit and how the bias is set up, if you take a typical
boost/drive circuit such as the ROG fetzer valve, the source resistor is a 1k5 with
a 22uf bypass cap too. ( which effects gain )
The drain is set to 1/2 V at 4.5 volts, lowering the 1k5 to say 820 ohms AND increasing
the bypass cap to between 33uf and 47uf will give you a decent gain increase.
If this is followed by one or two further gain stages, with perhaps a "gain" pot of 500k or
1M between, you'll drive the next gain "stage" harder, causing distortion.
See some more ROG ( www.runoffgroove.com ) projects, or some of my own in my
layout gallery above, for great examples of multiple gain stage OD's .
My "London 2 step" is a great sounding 2 stage example of this very thing ...

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

lenwood

Thanks guys for the replies.

So, say in a fetzer valve for example,  increasing the source resistor and re-biasing to 4.5volts would make it cleaner, right?

If so, would it have more or less headroom?

Marty, I'll also check out the your London 2-step OD.
Lennie

MartyMart

Quote from: lenwood on March 22, 2006, 05:55:24 PM
Thanks guys for the replies.

So, say in a fetzer valve for example,  increasing the source resistor and re-biasing to 4.5volts would make it cleaner, right?

If so, would it have more or less headroom?

Marty, I'll also check out the your London 2-step OD.

Yes, if you ran the circuit at 12 or 18v you'd have more "headroom" ( clean signal ) with a little re-bias.
You can "clean up" a two stage 9v version by having your 1/2 v drains at around 5 - 6 volts.
I'd suggest that you build a little circuit and use some sockets to swop out the relavent parts
for some experimentation.
Often, a two/three stage circuit can get a little "quiet" with gain ( between stage drive pot ) decreased, even when
you crank the output vol pot.
The "Classic 30" amp sim that I put together, has a "clean" path from 1st to last stage, which is
nice, it's always available along with the "driven" signal, this gets around that problem of overall
level drop in these designs.

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com