Rub on Letters?

Started by $uperpuma, March 23, 2006, 08:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$uperpuma

Anyone ever use these? They seem to be pretty hard to keep straight. I was thinking they'd be a good thin lettering to put under the clear...
I wanna make my Tremulus Lune look good...
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Back in the 60s (!) I must have rubbed down thousands of these doing magazine layout.. we used a guideline (light blue that didn't photograph). I guess you could use a light-tack adhesive tape as a removeable guie.

For a light color case, you might be much better off just printing onto water-slide decal paper (I havn't tried this.. probably plenty of posts if you search for it).

(doug harrison)

Yeah, I've use those.  Hard to keep straight. Careful if you bake, they'll shrink a little bit. I think ocean state electronics sells premade rub-ons for stereo gear, but nothing that would match effect pedal controls. Then again, if you search the threads here, you can turn up a product that you can use to print from a laser or inkjet printer, your OWN grahics, whatever you want. One entire word, straight on.

Waterslide, I've used those. Inkjet and laserjet. Both look nice. Not too much trouble for words, but I've never done an entire pedal face.

Paul Perry-- ever used an IBM Executive typewriter?

John Lyons

I've used white rub on letters from Parts express and Antique electronic supply (tubesandmore.com) with good succes.
They have sets with audio terms so you don't have to rub on every single letter.

There some examples here at my site.
http://www.mrdwab.com/john    (look for the pedals page)
http://www.mrdwab.com/john/Zacksamp.html     (scroll to the bottom)

John
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

lenwood

John,

Which pack of white rub-on letters did you use from Parts Express?

They seem to have have three different packs.

Lennie

roknjohn

I use rub on lettering quite often. What I do to keep things straight is use drafting tape, the kind used for designing pc boards. It comes in varying widths. I use fairly small widths. It's nice because it's very easy to remove and readjust if needed.

Mark Hammer

I only use rub-on letters these days because I have so damn much of it.  Here's an example of how nice it can look: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/49-er-A.jpg

You can probably tell that the letters aren't perfectly lined up, but they aren't too bad if you have a good eye and use other letters on the same sheet to help you line up stuff.  Just make sure they are rubbed on smoothly and that any laquer sprayed over top is done in multiple light coats.

John Lyons

I used the ones from Antique electronics supply with the Audio terms, treble, volume, bass, etc etc. That set has individual letters as well.

the antique Electronic supply number is:
S-M177 (black)
S-M178 (white)

As I was saying, I rubbed these onto the water slide decal paper and then placed the whole words onto the pedal and amps on my site above.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

lenwood

Thanks John!

Yeah they look nice so I'll have to get some to try.

Lennie

PB Wilson

I did this with ChartPak rub on letters. I used blue painters tape as a guide.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: (doug harrison) on March 23, 2006, 09:11:32 PM
Paul Perry-- ever used an IBM Executive typewriter?

If you mean those things where you type the line to get the
spacings & then type the line again to get it to justify.......
yes. At least I didn't pay $3,000 for one.. in 1960s money :icon_exclaim:

Do I still have a paper waxer somewhere? probably... I have the wax, anyway.