News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Thanks Aron!!

Started by 3/4 North, March 25, 2006, 04:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3/4 North

I built one of these p2p (without the board) for a ggg bluesbeaker. Then, of course, I had to build another because the bb uses a dual. The sound is fantastic, made the two IC's I tried sound wimpy.

I've got a discrete Bluesbreaker!

If anything requires an IC one of these is going in first.

aron

COOL! It IS amazing how different it can sound!

Aron

3/4 North

Here's the dual. With no board it can easily be used in a small box.  (Okay, maybe not easily)
There's about twice as much wire for the plug than I needed.

Here it is in a ggg bluesbreaker. It fit under the board (after I taped up any shiney metal bits)

aron

WOW, point to point. KILLER!

GREAT JOB!

Roobin

Looks cool! What does it now sound like?
So this replaces on IC circuit? Hmm.. Ive got a BB as well, and want a bit more drive, maybe transistor swappign and matching will give me more flexability than an IC?

3/4 North

I didn't notice any more drive. But you're right, transistor swapping may get you there. What happens if you leave the diodes out?
I tried a TL072 and a NE5532 IC in the bluesbreaker but didn't hear much difference between the two. The discrete op-amp had a less crunchy and smoother distortion and a fuller sound - maybe from harmonics? I'm playing acoustic Gibson's with active fishman pickups so there's tons of gain going in already. I needed a subtle fuzz. But the strat sounds good through it too.
I sent it off to friend who's a much better player, I want to see what she thinks.
Meanwhile, I've got to try the vulcan.