any ideas on what c828a transistors are?

Started by Austin73, March 26, 2006, 02:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin73

any ideas on what c828a transistors are?

Found 2 in my shin-ei wah just wondered if anybody new what they were or similar available before i have to rip apart my pedal lol

Cheers

Austin
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Austin73

now found them, they are 2sc828 which could be equivalent to nte 199? any how not to worry

Aus
Bazz Fuss, Red LLama, Harmonic Jerkulator, LoFo MoFo, NPN Boost, Bronx Cheer, AB Box, Dual Loop, Crash Sync

Mark Hammer

All the ones I've ever had had an hfe around 250-300 or so.

Austin73

cheers mark , i'm quite new to this but 2n3904 are about 200 so should i try for something more gainy?

Paul Marossy

Mark Hammer

2N5088s are fine, as are probably 2N4124s,  BC546/547/549.

Paul Marossy

I was going to suggest 2N5088s, but I thought the gain might be too high...

Mark Hammer

The gain is not intrinsic to the transistor, but in how you set them up.  A 2N5088 will do what 2SC828 does.

alderbody

I think the C828's have a different pinout than the typical EBC found in 5088's and similar.

you'd better keep that on mind.  ;)

Austin73

Yeah i think the pinout is different than normal , When you look at the PCB they are in the position is a bit wonky almost like tehy designed it for different transistors and had to ben these to fit! lol

Paul Marossy

QuoteThe gain is not intrinsic to the transistor, but in how you set them up.  A 2N5088 will do what 2SC828 does.

Yes, but in my experience, transistors are similar to tubes in some ways. Take a lower gain transistor out of a circuit and replace it with a higher gain one, and you will have a little more gain because the transistor itself has more gain. That's all dependent on the circuit, of course. This has definitely proved true in my experiements with wah circuits.

Mark Hammer

Yeah.  I wanted to clarify for folks, however, that transistors are not like miniature gain stages with some preset gain amount.  You know, stick this one in and you get a gain of 5, stick that one in and you get a gain of 200.  When it comes to distortion, as well, our friend the Fuzz Face clearly illustrates that high hfe is not necessarily equivalent to superb fuzz.

Here is a quick cut and paste comparison of a couple of regularly-encountered 2SC types from a Japanese transistor manual I have.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/TRANCOMP.jpg

Paul Marossy

OK, Mark, I think we are on the same page.   :icon_smile:

Mark Hammer