Any contact info for "The Stompbox Cookbook" author Nicholas Boscorelli?

Started by skiraly017, March 27, 2006, 12:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

Trying to get in touch with Nicholas Boscorelli. If anyone has any contact info or can pass along my info I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

Scott

skiraly017@adelphia.net

"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

R.G.

Some reasonably skilled and persistent people have tried that for several years now, with no good results to report.

Good luck.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Mark Hammer

Our nearest guess is that him and J.D. Salinger have some Brokeback Mountain thing going deep in the New Hampshire woods.  Neither of them seems to be answering their phone. :icon_wink:

soggybag

The subject of the Mr Boscorelli and Stompboxology comes up every year. There was a post a few years ago where people were getting a kitty together to hire a private investigator to find him. I think this did not happen. But phone books were searched and publishers contacted. all with no results.

I myself have been looking for issues of stompbosology. This is was a very interesting newsletter type publication he put out in the early 2000's.

skiraly017

So I read the existing threads about Mr. Boscorelli. I had no idea the book was OOP. And to think, I almost chucked during last year's spring cleaning.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Mark Hammer

People have tried to behave ethically with respect to this book and author, especially since it was clear that a great deal of work went into it, and that it wasn't simply another book with a bunch of 3rd rate uninteresting projects.  It's the kind of book whose effort needs to be respected and supported.  As the years go by, however, it seems increasingly clear that there doesn't seem to be anyone whose rights would be trodden on by posting scanned segments of the book, and that a reprint would be unlikely.  We don't know if Mr. Boscorelli is alive, if she/he has any living representatives, if that was indeed his actual name, if she/he or anyone else would lose revenue by posting segments, or indeed if anyone would sick their lawyers on anyone who *did* venture to post content.  As R.G. notes, from all accounts, people have tried very hard to clear a legal legitimate path for making portions public.  At this point, the only folks it seems would be harmed by doing so might be those trying to sell copies at inflated prices on e-bay.

My guess is that there probably ARE scanned segments, circuits, whatever, circulating via personal routes, even though nothing is posted on a website.  I kinda wish some of those people would PM me. :icon_wink:

Of course, the downside is that, even if 20 different mirror sites had flawless scans of the thing cover to cover, it seems to be impossible to ask Mr. Boscorelli anything about its content, and no possibility for a 2nd edition that might provide improvements on the circuits in the way that EPFM II did for EPFM I.

skiraly017

To paraphrase the forward of the book, "you're on your own". Boscorelli makes it very clear that he will not help with trouble shooting. So even if you could get flawless scans (which would probably mean tearing apart a copy so that all the pages could be scanned), it sounds as if Boscorelli would offer little help.

Mark Hammer

There's "on your own" and "on your own".  I suspect most project-book authors are happy to clarify the content of their books but at the same time are not looking to become 24-hr no-fee helplines, particularly given how little money they make from the book in the first place.

skiraly017

Well the good news is according to current copyright laws, the "Stompbox Cookbook" will be come public domain after -

A) the life of the author + 70 years or
B) the shorter of 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation.

:icon_neutral:

R.G.

QuoteWell the good news is according to current copyright laws, the "Stompbox Cookbook" will be come public domain after -
A) the life of the author + 70 years or
B) the shorter of 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation.
I would not bet on that. As the most recent copyright legislation demonstrates, copyright will run out when Mickey Mouse becomes public domain - and that will happen when Disney Studios is flat-out broke.  As near as I can tell, copyright is forever.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

skiraly017

I thought my first marriage was forever. Certainly seemed like it anyway.  :icon_lol:

amz-fx

Quotepeople have tried very hard to clear a legal legitimate path for making portions public.  At this point, the only folks it seems would be harmed by doing so might be those trying to sell copies at inflated prices on e-bay.

I have offered to reprint the book if we can find out who the rights could be licensed from...

regards, Jack

R.G.

QuoteI thought my first marriage was forever. Certainly seemed like it anyway.
It probably would have been if all the money behind Disney had been trying to force you to stay together. :icon_biggrin:

QuoteI have offered to reprint the book if we can find out who the rights could be licensed from...
If I had found anyone to do that it would already be reprinted.
R.G.

soggybag

I don't want to offend anyone, but I would be willing to trade scans of Stomboxology with anyone who has copies. I have about 6 issues. This was a very interesting little publication by Mr. Boscorelli. Each issue covered a different topic with about 6 projects per issue all focussed on the topic.

There are issues on Ring Modulators, Transistors, Frequency Dividers, Envelope Effects, compressors and more. It would be my guess that there were 13 volumes each with four issues. They were sold through a web site Stompboxolgy.com. Which has long since disapeared.

The material was very interesting and well thought out. Though, it was not documented extensively. Usually a page or two on the subject. Then a page for each project with a schematic and a layout on Radio Shack experimenter board. This is like stripboard that is laid out to match the solderless breadboard. Then a page of notes at the end.