opinions needed: AMZ Mosfet Booster OR MXR Micro Amp?

Started by $uperpuma, March 27, 2006, 03:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

$uperpuma

I know opinions are in no short supply in a place like this  :icon_mrgreen:
I am wanting to build a booster to push my carvin X-100 a little bit... pros/cons of each?
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Bernardduur

I really like the MOSFET booster for it's push and clarity, but the Micro Amp has some more features that makes it a bit more versatile.... You can also add some diodes and make a Distortion + -a-like....
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

$uperpuma

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

vanhansen

I've only used the AMZ Mosfet Boost so I can only comment on it.  I really like it.  My tone does not change when it is engaged.  It is the most, shall I say, tone preserving boost I've ever used.  Highly recommended.  Build both and use your ears to decide.
Erik

delbowski

i've only really used the microamp and i think that it has really been a great thing for my setup.  very useful either as a gain boost in the preamp or as a volume boost in the effects loop of my amp.  plus it is ridiculously easy to build.  you can get a ton of gain out of one of these... and it colors your tone very little (i don't think it does at all).  i put in a different ic so i'm using a power supply for it because battery life is short, but it's no problem with the wall wart.  the amz looks really simple too, however, and i would think both would be in about the same price range (cheap) to build.  i know that my microamp clone does the trick for me in more than one application.  hope this is of some help!  good luck... let us know what you decide on!

del