News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

bad trimpot?

Started by scotsman, March 28, 2006, 09:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotsman

Greetings,  "finished" boxing up my umble last night and while adjusting the trimpots noticed one of them had no effect.  Turn it in either direction nuthin.'  Checked the resistance of all of them with my meter and the others value up fine - and this one nuthin.'  I'm guessing it has to be bad?!  2nd opinions?

finkfloyd

Hi, its probably dead, replace it, If you have the cheap little metal ones like i have from futurlec, Ive had them fall apart! when turning them with a screwdriver!

scotsman

Ayup - it was bad..  Luckily I had a replacement!  Woo Hoo!

Night0wl

I bought a heap of the supposedly "good" plastic trimpots some time ago and every one of them so far haven't worked. Instead of using trimpots now I use an ordinary 100k pot, get the voltage right then remove the wires and measure the resistance. The I place a resistor of that size where the trimpot should go and everything works fine.

Cheers,
Shane

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Two things I never buy secondhand, or surplus.. electrolytics & trimpots. Because, if you open up faulty old EH gear from years gone by, what has crapped out? Why, the electros are dry, & the trimpots are tarnished to buggery.
I DO buy a lot of multiturn trimpots (new, for too much money, from reputable sources) when I need them.