freaky/scary/weird effects

Started by christobean, March 30, 2006, 05:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christobean

ok, me and my friend are creating a new band, and were on a quest to create a new music genre with all this weird stuff
anyone have suggestions on effects i could use that are totally weird, scary, or make sounds nothing like a  guitar?

all suggestions welcome and appreciated!!   

sorry, i meant to post this in the lounge/ ot forum

nosamiam

Keep the pedals you have and put them in a feedback loop pedal.  You'll get all the weird sounds you need.  Plus a feedback loop pedal is probably the easiest pedal out there to build.

http://remmelt.com/electro/media/switch_schem_400.png

There are other images out there, but I can't seem to find any at the moment. Maybe someone else will jump in?

JimRayden

google for "Circuit Snippets" and browse the first link that pops up. Lots of whacko stuff.

----------
Jimbo

Twister22

Processaurus

Brian Wilson said "well, theres nothing scarier than a theremin..."

christobean

sweet thanks 8)
i am in the process of checking out all those links.
i have a marshall Guv'nor and theres a jack for loop, is that what you mean by feedback loop? and if so, how do i connect things?

RaceDriver205

Seriously, you have to do some of these things:
Ring Modulator - nuff said
Maxed out chorus (max speed n depth) - scares the hell out of you
high gain distortion into strong chorus - sound weird
uglyface - can make atari space gun sounds

Transmogrifox

Try the PWM and ugly face...

For the feedbacker pedal:  get more interesting things in the feedback loop than just a distortion. Stick a phaser with some reverb in front of the guv'nor and maybe even an octave pedal.  That'll make all kinds of noise and squeals.

You definately need a ring modulator.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

Unbeliever

4ms noiseswash, kits and info here:
commonsound.com

jonathan perez

ALL MOOG PRODUCTS

even the bag and shirt!

well...in combination with each other and other things, i think you can create an endless array of noise.
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

jonathan perez

other things including, but not limited to: allen wrenches, pencils, ballpoint pens, water, teeth, yelling into your pickups, a cat, a dog, cd players, radio waves, cows mooing into a flanger/octave generator, peeing on your guitar (though not advised), bed sheets, steak, barbie dolls, electric drill, blow drier, and possibly french fries...

mmm...fries...
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

NoFi

The loop at the back of the guv'nor has noting to do with a feed back loop.  ;)

smnm

Just to re-iterate: Get thee to http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html - go down the page to the Uglyface - if the clips there don't convince you you need this thing, then we have a different definition of freaky/scary/weird.
The PWM on that page is also great, much simpler but still a supplier of freaky noise, as is the Parallel Universe (see Dragonfly gallery for vero layout). I have all three - and feedback loop even - CAN I JOIN YOUR BAND?

S

(PS These are all easy to build; Tim E's Thing Modulator looks good/easy also. The Noise Swash looks imprressive but that many components and knobs can be a tough build, much more difficult to debug if/when you make a mistake)

Unbeliever

Quote from: smnm on March 31, 2006, 03:09:06 AM
JThe Noise Swash looks imprressive but that many components and knobs can be a tough build, much more difficult to debug if/when you make a mistake.

With some additional complexity comes much more flexibility ... and there's debugging info up on commonsound.com too!

smnm

Quote from: Unbeliever on March 31, 2006, 03:17:45 AM
With some additional complexity comes much more flexibility...
True, true! I'd love to try it - in all honesty it's just a bit beyond my meagre capabilities, but I shouldn't judge others by my own ineptitude.

Jaicen_solo

I'd definitely advocate getting over to tim's page and building both the Thing Modulator and the PWM. For the most wierdness, you're gonna need to put the freq pot of the Thing, and the pulse width of the PWM under some kind of velocity control, ie using an old wah pedal rocker.
I don't know about anyone else, but I think the scariest record around is war of the worlds, the jeff wayne musical version. I heard it when I was about 10 (? Maybe less) and it scared the pants off me. I seriously had to leave the house every time it was on, (my parents played it a lot.. :icon_confused:).
There are a few sounds on there that will haunt me forever, like the Ullaho of the aliens and the heat ray guitar effect, but the scariest thing is the walking bass line thing. It's got some sort of octave down effect, and it freaks me right out.
With that in mind, i'd also recommend building a blue box, with some heavy low-pass filtering.

Processaurus

Quote from: thebattleofmidway on March 30, 2006, 11:29:07 PM
other things including, but not limited to: allen wrenches, pencils, ballpoint pens, water, teeth, yelling into your pickups, a cat, a dog, cd players, radio waves, cows mooing into a flanger/octave generator, peeing on your guitar (though not advised), bed sheets, steak, barbie dolls, electric drill, blow drier, and possibly french fries...

mmm...fries...

I like these suggestions the best, implements and props might be better than pedals, its visually interesting for the audience at least. 

strumming behind the nut is a good haunted house sound, Jaguars are neat because you can strum behind the bridge.  On the cover of the sonic youth dvd theres a x-ray of one of their jaguars where they actually mounted an extra pickup behind the bridge to pickup those sounds really loud.

Stick nails and metal shit under the strings.  Slash your speakers.  Overdrive things that aren't ment to be overdriven, like boombox mic inputs or crummy mixers.

syndromet

there is nothing better than running your guitar through a heavily twisted vocoder!!!

http://www11.nrk.no/urort/user/song.aspx?mmmid=92654

Don't think I have ever had more fun than this. ::) Just guitar and some sampled drums.

http://www11.nrk.no/urort/user/song.aspx?mmmid=92658

Here is a clipp with a little more samples in the background.

My diy-site: www.syndromet.com

christobean

thanks guys, a lot of sweet ideas here!
the "scene" around here is dominated by crappy emo bands, and were trying to cause a ruckus at a local show sometime
so if we use a combo of wild effects and props as you said, the results should be interesting

syndromet

Stopp those emo-kids!!! I'd take some japanes noize rock over emo any day.
My diy-site: www.syndromet.com