Tripple Fuzz Questions

Started by manson, March 31, 2006, 06:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manson

Hi,

Who can tell me what kind of diodes I should place in a (Tim's) Tripple Fuzz? The various schematics only mention 2x Silicon..
And second, I'm not sure about the pots. The gain pot should be 10K. But different layouts mention 10K or 100K for the volume pot, so what's correct? And should they be lin or log?

Thanks for providing the details :)

http://www.geocities.com/diygescorp/tripplefuzzlayout.gif

Ge_Whiz

Diodes 1N4148, 1N914 or 1N4001 series. Gain pot 10k lin, level pot 100k log.

Processaurus

I tried Si diodes, no diodes, and LEDs with Tim's circuit.  I liked the sound of two red LEDs best.  Its somewhat unique sounding, in that you pick soft and its fuzzy and distorted, pick harder and there is some clean note on top of the distortion, and pick even harder and it starts sounding overdriven with this fuzz in the background, like a fuzz and overdrive in parallel.  It sounded more like something that should be called the Triple Fuzz.  Also it has more output. 

A 10K reverse log pot is very nice to have for the gain control, the linear taper pots are jumpy in how the gain comes on.  If you can find one.  An alternative way to fake a neg log pot set up as a variable resistor (like the Gain pot is in this circuit is) would be a 50K linear pot with a 15K or so resistor across an outside lug to the wiper.  I don't know which side, but there is a 50/50 chance it'll be right.

Sometime I'd like to try 2 of the tripler sections in series.