Good non audio connectors?

Started by spectraljulian, March 31, 2006, 10:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectraljulian

I need to have 4 connections between 2 boxes, so mono and stereo jacks just won't cut it.  What kind of connector should I use?

davebungo

small 'D' type - 9-way is the most common?
5-way "DIN"?
small circular multi-pole - could be more expensive
old PS-2 mouse connectors?

petemoore

We used to use old tube 8 pin sockets and Tube bases, the tube part broken out to expose the contacts inside the base for soldering to...not recommended but worked great.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

JimRayden

There are 1/8" plugs with 3 channels plus ground, they're used for video-audio connection between a video camera and a TV. The plug is available but I'm not so sure about jacks. If you find a 1/4" version, let me know too.

But yeah, DIN-5 is what USSR used for a looong loong time before the 1/4" intrusion. ;D If you decide to use those, make sure to buy top quality plugs, as the cheaper ones are just too darn dodgy for normal stage use.

Now that I think of, I think I saw a 4-pin XLR connector somewhere. Ahh, check out Mouser or other sources, you'll fing lots and lots of wonderous plugs and jacks you've propably never heard of, with as many pins and channels as you could imagine. Yes, the DINs go up to 13, perhaps even more. :)

------------
Jimbo

spectraljulian

I think what I'll do is just use 2 plastic mono jacks with plastic nuts. 

bancika

How about UTP connectors, they have 8 pins. I'm thinking about those for my power supply question
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

H.Manback

I'm using UTP for a footswitch for my amplifier now, I wish I didn't really... It works, sure, but when you think about it, making square holes is a major PITA, and on top of that, UTP cables are hardly rugged. I never thought about that last one, until I read a remark about it somewhere on this forum, but it was too late at that point :icon_evil:

I'd go with one of those round thingies, I think they're the DIN connectors mentioned.

Satch12879

Amphenol circular connectors, no question.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

With the end of CB radio, some of those CB chassis sockets are turning up cheap. they are pretty robust..
I must confess, if it was me, I'd probably use DIN sockets, plenty of short 5 pin DIN cbles out there!!

Elektrojänis

XLR connectros are pretty good if you need something rugged. 4 and 5 pin versions should be easily available. They might be a bit expensive, but at least they are about as rugged as anything available to most diyers (at least if you get something like Neutrik or Switchcraft and even some cheaper ones are pretty good).

They can usually even carry a bit more current than is needed in signal only -aplications. I've heard thet 4 pin XLR is even used as a power supply connectors in some professional video gear.

Edit:

A bit more current than normal signal only stuff was a bit of an understatement. On their website Neutrik specifies that their 4 pin XLR:s can handle up to 10A.  :o

JimRayden

Good idea, Jänis. Although a bit more expensive, the XLR is by far superior to DIN because of it's ruggedness and the little dinghy that locks it down. DIN's don't have that dinghy.

Sorry for using such sophisticated expressions.

---------
Jimbo

Elektrojänis

There are locking DIN connectors available too... My local suplier them with two totally different locking mechanisms.

Some use some kind of pushbutton thingy. They look like this: http://www.yeoy.fi/index.php?main=64&productCat=746&productID=2773

I suspect that their locking works with most existing DINs but I have not tried them.

Other ones use some kind of thingy that is twisted to lock it (it is called bayonet or something like that). It's a bit like the locking on BNC-connectors that are used on old "thin ethernet" computer networks and some video equipment.

They look like this:
http://www.yeoy.fi/index.php?main=64&productCat=746&productID=3238
http://www.yeoy.fi/index.php?main=64&productCat=746&productID=3241

They are somewhat rugged and I have used them in one project (non guitar related, a condencer microphone).

Anyway... On most of things I would use XLR as they have a good availability. My guess is that DIN connectors are slowly dissapearing from the market (and the locking ones are probably the first to go). I might be wrong though.

The information on locking DINs above is probably really no use for anyone, but some might consider it interesting.  :P

Sorry for my bad english... My finnish is a bit better, but not much. :)

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

JimRayden

Quote from: Elektrojänis on April 04, 2006, 04:26:06 PM

Anyway... On most of things I would use XLR as they have a good availability. My guess is that DIN connectors are slowly dissapearing from the market (and the locking ones are probably the first to go). I might be wrong though.

You're forgetting they're still being used quite extensively for MIDI, Jänis. ;) And Peavey uses a DIN7 for their TripleXXX amp's footswitch (three switches). I do not know why they use a DIN7 though, with only 4 connectors.

So they're not dying out quite yet. I bet they'll stay around for quite a while.

------------
Jimbo

Elektrojänis

Quote from: JimRayden on April 04, 2006, 05:09:03 PM
You're forgetting they're still being used quite extensively for MIDI, Jänis. ;)

True... I forgot that for a moment. So at least 5-pin DIN will probably be around for a while (that's probably the most common one anyway if we leave out the mini DIN stuff).

And Peavey uses a DIN7 for their TripleXXX amp's footswitch (three switches). I do not know why they use a DIN7 though, with only 4 connectors.

They probably use it because it is not used that much elsewhere. Less people will plug in something that should not plugged there. This is one reason why I used those locking DINs in that one project, even if my gadgets will be only used by me and couple of my friends.