A reverb stomp w/out spring

Started by rocker-D82, April 04, 2006, 05:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rocker-D82

I recently buy a Marshall without Reverb (a beatiful 2554 silver jubilee). I'm seeking for a reverb who I can build in a little stompo box without a spring tank. Any projects?   :icon_rolleyes:  ???

JimRayden

Sorry to disappoint you but if you want a good sounding reverb, either buy digital or build a spring unit. Believe me, the chip ones are not easy to build.

Accutronics spring reverb tanks are about 30 bucks a piece and it only needs minimal circuitry to get it up and running.

Just to mention, if you want a simple delay, see Rebote at Tonepad (link at the top of this page). (Note: A reverb would require at least three times as much components.)

----------
Jimbo

rocker-D82

Quote from: JimRayden on April 04, 2006, 05:33:58 PM
(Note: A reverb would require at least three times as much components.)

A DSP based one?

Eb7+9

That's the first thing I'd like to see from a DSP effort - some kind of dynamic verb with variable regen patterns ... at least with delay you don't suffer from the propagation delay of DSP ... otherwise you can get an ART NR-1 for less than $40 on ebay - that should work with your amp following a little rewiring ... and, otherwise again, check out Tom Scholz's BBD stereo reverb circuit, Fig. 5 in X100 patent #4584700

jc

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

It's a bit depressing, but commercial reverb algorithms are developed to a pretty high degree, which tends to raise expectations pretty high, if you are looking for 'natural' reverb in a box. The only reverb that i think is worth DIYing, is spring reverb, because there you have a character that is recognised & best done by a spring! I don't know whether it is possible to buy proprietary reverb processor chips.

Jaicen_solo

It's pretty easy to knock up a spring reverb using one of those accutronics tanks. Get a really long one like the fender twins use, and mount it on top of your head.
As far as stompbox reverbs go, I think about the easiest/cheapest would be to get one of those little Danelectro mini's (I think there's a reverb). That said, if you have the bucks for a 2554 (that's the Slash amp isn't it?) then splash out on a holy grail!
Actually, if you can deal with rack units, you can find old studio reverbs like the Quadraverb for next to nothing on ebay, something to consider.

rocker-D82

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on April 05, 2006, 07:32:21 AM
That said, if you have the bucks for a 2554 (that's the Slash amp isn't it?) then splash out on a holy grail!

:o I Buy my 2554 for a little amount of money. A lucky event!  :icon_biggrin:
I already think to buy an EH holy gray. How much good is it?

Quote from: Jaicen_solo on April 05, 2006, 07:32:21 AM
Actually, if you can deal with rack units, you can find old studio reverbs like the Quadraverb for next to nothing on ebay, something to consider.

A rack it isn't a bad idea...

Arn C.

There are a few around that don't use springs.  Here are the two I know of.

One is a radio shack one(realistic), this one is a bit complicated, and they never really sounded that great.   Also it would have to be adjusted to work with guitar.  This ones components include:MN3207, MN3201, AN6552, and 6 transistors. 

Also there is the EFM MN3007 Reverb.   This one is fairly simple, I built it once, but could never get it to work.   It's components include:  MN3007, MN3101, 2 TL072's and one transistor.

Peace!
Arn C.

343 Salty Beans

My next project is to build a reverb tank out of a beer keg  ;D

New mojo tone is Heinekin.

Peter Snowberg

Take a look in the Digital & DSP forum for the Femtoverb courtesy of DaveTV for a DIY project, but I would recommend the Stage Center Reverb or another spring circuit. There is just no substitute for a spring reverb sound.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

RaceDriver205

Esp for those living in Australia, Silicon chip magazine produced a reverb unit project based around two Mitsubishi delay chips (December 2000 and January 2001 issues).(http://www.siliconchip.com.au).
It sounds damn real, and you can customize it to allow for both variable "echo dampening" and reverb mix - on two separate delay lines. You can make it sound like you are in a seriously cavey cave as well as a hall etc. The key parts are M6580P delay ICs, which I was able to obtain from Dick Smith Electronics as "spare parts" (not in catalogue - you have to ask for them). I obtained them last year, so I cant guarantee they are still available.

trevize

Ciao Davide esiste un progetto su synthdiy riguardante un solid state delay fatto con un mn3011. E' effettivamente
quasi introvabile e ci vorrebbero due o tre dei soliti bbd per fare un delay che suoni decentemente altrimenti.
http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2003/eti-mn3011reverb.pdf

credo che in italia l'mn3011 ce l'abbia calpedel ma manda una mail per verificarne la dsponibilità.
http://www.calpedel.it/iclst.htm

ps: c'è un application note più semplice e già con pcb anche sul datasheet
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/14237/PANASONIC/MN3011.html

sorry for the italian!

i said that there's a project on synthdiy (an old ETI project) regarding a
probably good sounding bbd reverb, it uses an obsolete and difficult to find ic mn3011.
probably the italian distributor calpedel has it.

rocker-D82

Quote from: trevize on April 06, 2006, 11:08:07 AM
Ciao Davide esiste un progetto su synthdiy riguardante un solid state delay fatto con un mn3011. E' effettivamente
quasi introvabile e ci vorrebbero due o tre dei soliti bbd per fare un delay che suoni decentemente altrimenti.
http://www.synthdiy.com/files/2003/eti-mn3011reverb.pdf

credo che in italia l'mn3011 ce l'abbia calpedel ma manda una mail per verificarne la dsponibilità.
http://www.calpedel.it/iclst.htm

ps: c'è un application note più semplice e già con pcb anche sul datasheet
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/14237/PANASONIC/MN3011.html

sorry for the italian!

i said that there's a project on synthdiy (an old ETI project) regarding a
probably good sounding bbd reverb, it uses an obsolete and difficult to find ic mn3011.
probably the italian distributor calpedel has it.

Thanks. I'm investigating!  :icon_biggrin:

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Harry

QuoteIt's pretty easy to knock up a spring reverb using one of those accutronics tanks. Get a really long one like the fender twins use, and mount it on top of your head.
:-*

trevize

if you really want true reverb sound "go spring!". it seems that reverb quality it's inverse proportional to space:

solid state based >> small

spring >> industry and guitar standard

plate reverb >> probably five times bigger than a guitar amp!!
(i will build one of these one day! and then i'll buy a truck to carry my reverb around)

i would consider spring also for a stompbox. maybe a stompbox with
rca going to the accutronics reveb tank fixed directly on your pedalboard with
screws.

take a look at vanamps reverbamate
http://www.vanamps.com/reverbamate.html

Hiwatt25

Not to get too far off topic but back in the old days, didn't they actually build rooms (out of cement?) specifically for recording reverb.  I seem to remember reading that in an issue of TapeOp.  God, I'd love to have a reverb room!

Harry

QuoteNot to get too far off topic but back in the old days, didn't they actually build rooms (out of cement?) specifically for recording reverb.  I seem to remember reading that in an issue of TapeOp.  God, I'd love to have a reverb room!
Your not talking about sewers are you?

Ben N

Your cheapest option is a used Alesis Picoverb, Microverb or Nanoverb.  They all give you some pretty decent reverbs with a handful of other useful (though not amazing) effects and stereo output, to boot, and can be had on ebay for $40-50.  Those 1/3 rack units can even be squeezed onto a pedalboard with a little ingenuity.  I'd recommend that you make a true bypass looper for them, though.
I can't say how they compare to other digital reverb pedals, like Holy Grail, RV-7 or ToneCore, though, or bigger rack units.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER