A 1uf cap is a 1uf cap is a 1uf cap...right?

Started by skiraly017, April 05, 2006, 08:32:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiraly017

I was browsing the Mouser catalog today and have a question. Using a 1uf 50v polarized cap as an example, there are 3 or 4 different sizes available. The smallest one being something like 3mm x 5mm. Are there any differences in these caps other than size (and price)? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I just wanted to make sure.
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

343 Salty Beans

shouldn't be. Check just to make sure, but I'd probably just go with cheapest (since I'm almost broke and all  :icon_redface:)

LyleCaldwell

Quote from: skiraly017 on April 05, 2006, 08:32:56 PM
I was browsing the Mouser catalog today and have a question. Using a 1uf 50v polarized cap as an example, there are 3 or 4 different sizes available. The smallest one being something like 3mm x 5mm. Are there any differences in these caps other than size (and price)? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I just wanted to make sure.

Lots of differences, but few that mean anything in most guitar effect circuits.  The things you need to look at are polarity, physical size, voltage rating (16v, 25, 100v, etc), value (uF, pF, etc), and tolerance (5%, 10%, 20%, etc).  Of those, polarity, voltage rating, and value are the most important.

What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

jrem

I assume you're speaking (ahem, typing) of electrolytics since you're at 1uf, in which case, farrads and voltages are it.   If those two are the same, then difference in size is per manufacturer.  When you get into others, like .1 -.001, then it's polyprophelene, polyethelyne, tantalium, yaddity ya ad infitnausium.

skiraly017

I'm referring to physical size. A 1uf 50v that is 3mm x 5mm should be the same as a 1uf 50v that is 7mm x 12mm, correct?
"Why do things that happen to stupid people keep happening to me?" - Homer Simpson

Peter Snowberg

Can you post the part numbers you are considering?

If you're making an LED blinker than yes, a cap is a cap is a cap is a cap. In audio we seem to get all persnickity. I use non-electrolytics wherever I can and much of that determination is made based on size and cost. 1uF is still in metal-film territory for me unless you're decoupling a power supply in which case tantalum is king.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

skiraly017

Xicon 50v 1uf Radial Electrolytic 3x5mm, part number 140-L50V1.0-RC
Xicon 50v 1uf Radial Electrolytic 4x7mm, part number 140-MLNP50V.1

Aside from the temperature rating, I'm assuming for all practical purposes these should both be the same.

MartyMart

Quote from: skiraly017 on April 05, 2006, 11:06:39 PM
Xicon 50v 1uf Radial Electrolytic 3x5mm, part number 140-L50V1.0-RC
Xicon 50v 1uf Radial Electrolytic 4x7mm, part number 140-MLNP50V.1

Aside from the temperature rating, I'm assuming for all practical purposes these should both be the same.

Yup, other factors will only come into play at much higher voltages and for "high end" studio
pre-amps  etc etc.
I use either 16v or 25v electro caps for all my 9v/12v pedal builds, no other reason than
"size"  - the voltage rating is easily enough, 25v for an occasional 18v build.
My local "Maplin" ( Craplin ! ) do sell "miniature 16v electro's" which are very low ( 5mm )
Not many values, but 10uf 22uf 47uf 100uf will do.
For 1uf values, I tend to go with Poly film caps, though they are about 12mm tall  !!

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

KaptenSpark

I asked this in another thread but got no answer, does the voltage rating matter when building a stompbox i.e will a 100v cap work just as well as a 16v?

MartyMart

Quote from: KaptenSpark on April 06, 2006, 03:57:57 AM
I asked this in another thread but got no answer, does the voltage rating matter when building a stompbox i.e will a 100v cap work just as well as a 16v?

Yes, absolutely 100%  !
It will just be "totally over-rated" as far as voltage goes and will be quite LARGE  :D
16v/25v should easily be good enough for a 9v/12v project

MM.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

KaptenSpark

Quote from: MartyMart on April 06, 2006, 04:16:55 AM

Yes, absolutely 100%  !
It will just be "totally over-rated" as far as voltage goes and will be quite LARGE  :D
16v/25v should easily be good enough for a 9v/12v project

MM.

Thats good news for me since I only got 100v caps at home. I ordered a pack of "common values" from Banzai and they were all 100v. Never again.

343 Salty Beans

it's odd, because some companies don't make lower voltage-rated caps at certain values. I was building my first project (a ProCo Rat) and I spent so long looking for a 16v rated electrolytic cap (i forget which value...4.7uF, I think?) and even Mouser fell short. Xicon didn't make anything below 100v.

Odd.

MartyMart

That's right, the 1uf's and 2u2's that I have as electro's are Panasonic, I think ...and are all
at least 35v rated.
I've never had a 1uf 16v electro, come to think of it !!
If you need one small, 1uf Tantalun 35v are quite small ( MXR )

MM.