black finger tube compressor

Started by pvieytes, April 06, 2006, 11:15:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pvieytes

Hello,
anybody have the blackfinger tube compressor schem?

I use the search buttom but I only find the older version with the ca3080,

thanks and sorry for my english.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: pvieytes on April 06, 2006, 11:15:28 AM
Hello, anybody have the blackfinger tube compressor schem?
Yes, the designer himself, who cannot (and will not) post or pass it around because of the professional contract between himself and E-H.

The majority of commercial schematics that you see posted around were obtained by writing to the manufacturer and asking for them, for the purposes of repairing one of their products.  All manufacturers like to see their products enjoy a good reputation and long life, so they make information available to assure that.  Many companies will post schematics for their products on their own websites just for that purpose.  They also can't afford (unless it is a boutique house) to do the repairs themselves, if it means receiving and shipping thousands of units every month, so they provide the information for music store repair people to do it. 

If E-H is willing to send you a schematic on request, fine, but I think you'll find that schematics for most products that are less then a few years old are simply unavailable because - wait for it - they're still working just fine (as intended and designed to) and no one had to repair them.

RedHouse

You'll have to excuse Mark, it's just his long-winded way of saying "no".

The Tone God

Quote from: RedHouse on April 08, 2006, 07:20:41 PM
You'll have to excuse Mark, it's just his long-winded way of saying "no".

Mark is not "long-winded". He's pleasantly breezy. :)

Andrew

Mark Hammer

Breezy, maybe, but after that chana aloo today not particularly pleasant! :icon_lol:

343 Salty Beans

But it's a good, informative long-winded, as opposed to my adding parentheses with not-so-clever remarks long-winded :icon_lol:

hairyandy

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 06, 2006, 12:00:31 PM
If E-H is willing to send you a schematic on request, fine, but I think you'll find that schematics for most products that are less then a few years old are simply unavailable because - wait for it - they're still working just fine (as intended and designed to) and no one had to repair them.

While I agree completely with you Mark, I couldn't resist commenting on your last point.  The EH Black Finger Tube Compressor is so poorly constructed it's almost laughable.  I got an early one while on tour in 2003, along with a couple other people in our entourage, and they all failed within a month.  Apparently there was some issue with the soldering process at the foreign production house (they're not made in the U.S.) and they all had horrible ground issues and many cold solder joints.  They were so noisy that they were unusable and we all sent them back for replacements.  The replacements seemed fine and most are still working as far as I know, except one day I picked mine up and something was rattling around inside.  I opened it up and one of the electrolytics in the power supply section had just fallen out of the PCB.  I mean how bad of a soldering job is that?  I soldered it back in and it's been fine since.

I love the way they sound (although they're a little big) but I'd want to have a few on hand if they were going to be an integral component in a touring rig because I don't trust their road worthiness as far as I can throw them.  And I'm a total wuss... :icon_mrgreen:

My $.02
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

RedHouse

Just to be clear, Mark's a great guy, my reply was a chide only.
(in case anyone gets the idea I was being a smartie)

He's one of a few blessed souls walking the earth these days that can make a full page dialoge out of a yes/no question. I look forward to reading his posts as there is always something in them that I can glean for my own benefit.
(thanks for being verbose Mark)

StephenGiles

Quote from: hairyandy on April 08, 2006, 11:09:05 PM

While I agree completely with you Mark, I couldn't resist commenting on your last point.  The EH Black Finger Tube Compressor is so poorly constructed it's almost laughable.  I got an early one while on tour in 2003, along with a couple other people in our entourage, and they all failed within a month.  Apparently there was some issue with the soldering process at the foreign production house (they're not made in the U.S.) and they all had horrible ground issues and many cold solder joints.  They were so noisy that they were unusable and we all sent them back for replacements.  The replacements seemed fine and most are still working as far as I know, except one day I picked mine up and something was rattling around inside.  I opened it up and one of the electrolytics in the power supply section had just fallen out of the PCB.  I mean how bad of a soldering job is that?  I soldered it back in and it's been fine since.

I love the way they sound (although they're a little big) but I'd want to have a few on hand if they were going to be an integral component in a touring rig because I don't trust their road worthiness as far as I can throw them.  And I'm a total wuss... :icon_mrgreen:

My $.02

Life is so hard being a rock n roller!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

hairyandy

Quote from: StephenGiles on April 09, 2006, 04:39:09 PM
Quote from: hairyandy on April 08, 2006, 11:09:05 PM

My $.02

Life is so hard being a rock n roller!

You have no idea... :icon_biggrin:
Andy Harrison

puretube

err, Mark: THANKS a lot for your assistance!

for the record, however, my friend the BF designer J.C.
(here we are @ last year`s AES convention in Berlin):

(like mentioned before in an older thread)
is not a frequent visitor of this forum.

I`m quite sure, however, he supports my interests of non-disclosing certain details...

Andy: it`s a pity, those "monday`s pedals" slipped thru the quality control.

Eb7+9

... tip of the hat to him, his feed-forward/loading side-chain feed and driver concepts are on the money ... I'd like to ask him where he came up with the linearizing LED driver interface for his BF circuit ... it's excellent !!

jc

hairyandy

Quote from: puretube on April 10, 2006, 04:33:16 PMAndy: it`s a pity, those "monday`s pedals" slipped thru the quality control.

I agree Ton.  I really love EH stuff and it bummed me out that the quality was so poor on those.  I guess everybody gets to have a bad day now and then though huh?  I can't wait to get my hands on a Flanger Hoax!  I've been so busy making my own pedals that it's getting hard to go spend money on them now.  I've got to get one of those though...
Andy Harrison

brad

Why does it have to be the Black Finger?  Here's a tube compressor schematic just waiting to become a DIY project:

http://www.triodeel.com/comp1.jpg

toneman

Ever heard of the LA2??....all tube....all the time... 8)
Very famous compressor....do a little googling    :o
BTW the "LA Light"  is solid state.... :P
May all your tubes glow brightly   :)
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation