need audio click to momentary switch...

Started by ashcat_lt, April 06, 2006, 04:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashcat_lt

I've got some basic idea of electronics theory, but I'm not too terribly advanced.  Was hoping for some help on what I think should be a fairly simple contraption. 

What I need to do is take an audio click source from, say a drum machine, and somehow convert it so that it acts like a momentary switch.  The application of this is to sync my Boss DD-5 to an audio click track via it's Tap Tempo input.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

jxoco

have a look at this
http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/circ/relay4.html

It 'hears a noise' and closes a relay.
A relay might be an easy thing for you as I think that the foot switch is just a spst switch.
You could replace the microphone with a plug, into the output of the drum machine.

Transmogrifox

Note that the op amp can be almost any op amp.  If for whatever reason you're having trouble finding a 741, then pick whatever is available.  The transistor is also a non-critical component, though there will be a minimum current rating required.  Better ask on that one if you need to substitute.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

calpolyengineer

It would also be quite beneficial to get someone here to convert it to single supply if possible, unfortunately I am of no use in that regard. Paging Dr. Hammer.

-Joe

ashcat_lt

So, okay, anybody out there know how to convert this to single supply?

no one ever

Quote from: calpolyengineer on April 07, 2006, 07:02:10 PM
It would also be quite beneficial to get someone here to convert it to single supply if possible, unfortunately I am of no use in that regard. Paging Dr. Hammer.

-Joe

How about the Tone God?

http://www.geocities.com/thetonegod/
(chk chk chk)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Another approach, if anyone wants to design one, is to use a 555 timer as a 'one shot'. I did this once for a similar application (rim shot audio from a drum machine, generating a controlled-length pulse to drive a SH-101 arpeggiator clock input).

calpolyengineer

Processaurus

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on April 26, 2006, 10:06:43 AM
Another approach, if anyone wants to design one, is to use a 555 timer as a 'one shot'. I did this once for a similar application (rim shot audio from a drum machine, generating a controlled-length pulse to drive a SH-101 arpeggiator clock input).

The boss switch is just a momentary switch that connects the tip of the plug to its sleeve.  Why not recreate that electronically by using Paul's idea to control the base of a transistor that has its collector connected to the sleeve and emitter to ground?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

An advantage of the 555 route (and why I used it) is that it automatically 'debounces' the system, the input signal is ignored after the initial triggering pulse, until the period of the 555 elapses.

ashcat_lt

calpoly sent me something similar to what I think paul is talking about.  it looks a lot simpler than the other link above, I guess I'll try that.  Now, if I ever actually get around to it, I'll let y'all know how it works out.  Thanks everybody

calpolyengineer

yes, that is what paul was talking about. Just a 555 in monostable (one-shot as it is often called) which drives a relay.

-Joe

mwynwood

I know this is an old post, but did anyone find a solution to this?
Thanks  :icon_biggrin:
Marcus Wynwood
My Build Blog
MarcusGuitar.com