Nasty buzzy distortion needed!!

Started by stoooooo, April 07, 2006, 09:57:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoooooo

I have been trying to figure out a way of reproducing in a switchable pedal the really nasty buzzy clipping produced when driving a mixer channel input too hard (specifically gain up full, set to mic input but using a guitar).  The sound breaks up in quite a harsh way but doesnt increase sustain like a fuzz pedal. 

I have tried loads of different fuzz, distortion and overdrive pedals but can not get this sound.  The nearest I can get is a smokey amp with a virtually dead battery used to drive a bigger speaker (fine for recording but I need it in a pedal and the output from the smokey is too high to alow switching between smokey and a clean channel).  I am reasonably capable when it comes to building pedals.

Any ideas????

JimRayden

Try this one. It most propably will not sound like a mixer but it sure sounds nasty. I mean the buzz box at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

-----------
Jimbo

RedHouse

Plug into a mixer then if that's the way you know to get it.

Then get the schem for the mixer and dupe a channel.

stoooooo

Thanks for the suggestions.

Buzz Box sounds nasty - but not quite right.

I have thought about building a mixer channel to get the sound but the schematics I have seen are quite complex as I would need to include the mic preamp (as this is what is distorting I guess). 

I suppose I need something like a mic preamp but with an output level adjustable to match the direct guitar signal (i.e. to avoid unwanted changes in level when in bypass - as it would be true bypass).  Any ideas anyone?   

rocket

Hi,

what you need is just a hard clipping amplifier (e.g. simple 2 or 3 Transistor stages with no feedback, or an opamp)  and a full range speaker.
A guitar speaker always make the sound more or less mellow because it acts as lowpass filter at ~ 5kHz.
If you record any overdriven preamp will do.

PenPen

Quote from: hank reynolds 3rd on April 07, 2006, 11:53:08 AM
try here,maybe???

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=40917.0

Possible mods for the above, try increasing the cap C3 to 0.1uF for more of frequency passthrough, at the expense of some buzzing. Alternately, lower the value a bit to increase the frequencies that buzz. I've also considered replacing R1 with a diode a la the Bazz Fuss for even more nastyness, but I haven't tried that idea yet.

stoooooo

Thanks for the tips guys - on my way to Maplins.....