anyone build byoc's tribooster?

Started by kvb, April 07, 2006, 11:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kvb

Seems like a good way to save some board space and a whole lot of time looking for parts.

any reviews?

dano12

I've built. Great little build and it literally comes with everything you need to make a functional stompbox.

The rangemaster circuit seems pretty much faithful to the original. The treble boost is a nice effect to add to brighten up certain amps, and if you drive it all the way, it will even add a little distortion. The clean boost circuit is not completely clean when you push it, but seems to be pretty transparent. Finally the linear boost mode works as advertised and will add some nice grit when you need it.

Overall, the triboost is a fun build, and you end up with a pretty versatile stomp that you can use in a variety of settings.

Hope that helps!

geekmacdaddy

I built it, and stuck it next to my Keeley Java Boost, and I liked it (germanium part of the circuit) a lot better than mr keeley...for whatever that is worth. Real Nice Box, as is most of Keith's stuff at BYOC.

amz-fx

The mosfet booster section...     >:(  >:(

Free schematic at:  http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm

-Jack

Khas Evets

Jack - Did you authorize the use of this?

$uperpuma

My friends all want to steal my mosboost... I told them, get the stuff on this shopping list and make one...:)
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

toneman

Well Jack,   
The assembly manual doesn't contain a schemo,
but the parts list DOES have a 9.1V zener & a BS170.
Isn't *that* a coincidence(?)   : >:(    :-\
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

d95err

Buildyourownclone has the appropriate licenses for their kits, AFAIK. It has been asked before on the forum. At least I know he has licensesed PCB designs from Fransico at Tonepad, so I assume that goes for the other designs as well.

EDIT: A BS170 and a 9.1V doesn't particularly stand out as a "coincidence". The BS170 is probably the most common MOSFET in DIY stompboxes, and a Zener to protect it is common sense.

Khas Evets

All the parts are identical. It's an AMZ mosfet boost.

Joep

d95err

Quote from: Joep on April 08, 2006, 11:09:56 AM
hmmm, I don't see a 5K pot....

The 3 circuits in the tribooster share a single volume pot, so presumably the Mosfet Boost gain has been replaced by a fixed resistor (or trimmer).

powerplayj

Wonder how a multiple boost pedal would go over at GGG?  There are so many boosts available that a 3-in-1 might be more appealing for the first time builder who doesn't really know what type of boost they want.  ..................also, less room on the pedal board for multiple boosts!  The LPB and treble circuits are a free-for-all and Jack has the MOSFET circuit so I would think it would just be a matter of whether it would be worthwhile for Jack and JD to do this.
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

Khas Evets

You can buy boards at BYOC, so why bother?

I like the idea of getting a couple circuits in one box, though. Maybe a Mini-boost/BSIAB, I'm actually working on this right now.

amz-fx

QuoteJack has the MOSFET circuit so I would think it would just be a matter of whether it would be worthwhile for Jack and JD to do this.

I'm working on a layout that will combine the mini-booster and mosfet booster on one board... 

regards, Jack

kvb

QuoteI'm working on a layout that will combine the mini-booster and mosfet booster on one board... 

regards, Jack

That would be sweet.  I don't know much about the mini-booster though - what's its character?

Anyhoo,   You could have the thing ready for some mods too:  A bass cut switch that would make the thing a treble booster,  and a switchable clipping stage.

You could call the thing a "Low Down Dirty Double Booster"

Then I could get the pcb and support the (this) cause.