AMZ Mosfet Booster for BASS?

Started by $uperpuma, April 08, 2006, 12:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

$uperpuma

A friend of mine wanted a nice clean booster for his tube bass amp head I told him about this one... but I wanted to find out if the circuit would extend to those low frequencies well.  Is it an even boost down say to a low D (drop tuners ::) ) Or is there a capacitor(s) that would need to be adjusted to accomodate the freq range better?  I will be building it without a bass to test it is why I ask. Thanks in Advance

Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

no one ever

if you read the amz article, it says the frequency response is completely flat (bass happy!)
(chk chk chk)

squidsquad

Keeping in mind....a bass has a healthy signal...the mosfet can boost a lot...and together they may slam the amp into distortion....it all depends.........

lovekraft0

Quote...together they may slam the amp into distortion...
Not to mention that at max boost (35dB), a healthy bass pickup is very likely going to clip the booster itself - a 100mV P-P input is going to try to swing the output ca. +/-5.5 volts, well beyond the available headroom.

amz-fx

Quote from: $uperpuma on April 08, 2006, 12:48:03 AM
A friend of mine wanted a nice clean booster for his tube bass amp head I told him about this one... but I wanted to find out if the circuit would extend to those low frequencies well.  Is it an even boost down say to a low D (drop tuners ::) ) Or is there a capacitor(s) that would need to be adjusted to accomodate the freq range better?  I will be building it without a bass to test it is why I ask. Thanks in Advance

Change  the input capacitor C1 to 0.1uF just to be sure....

Also, it won't clip unless you turn up the drive control too high.  Read this article to understand why:

http://www.muzique.com/lab/boost.htm

regards, Jack

$uperpuma

The man himself.  ;D  thank you so much!
Breadboards are as invaluable as underwear - and also need changed... -R.G.

Bernardduur

I use one all the time and never have any problems with it on bass!
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account