Thunderchief into front end of amp

Started by erick4x4, April 09, 2006, 07:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

erick4x4

Does anyone use the thunderchief into the clean channel of an amp? I have a Marshall 6100, but often rely on a variety of backline amps when I play around the country. I currently use a Tonebone hotbritish, but one something I build myself ;)

How does this sound into a tube amp, as it already emulates power, and speaker?

Could it be built as preamp only pedal?

I bought a board from GGG, and am going to build it tonight, but though I would see about the preamp idea?

JimRayden

The Thunderchief is designed to function as a stompbox, so I guess it's quite fine running into a Marshall, although I can't see the point of marshall-simulating circuit in front of a Marshall tube amp. ;D

-----------
Jimbo

uan

Hi eric, can you post some clips of your new Thunderchief? (if its ready). I just want to compare to mine in term of sustain and gain. I use 2n5484 for the transistor..
- UAN -

erick4x4

Quote from: JimRayden on April 10, 2006, 02:54:38 AM
The Thunderchief is designed to function as a stompbox, so I guess it's quite fine running into a Marshall, although I can't see the point of marshall-simulating circuit in front of a Marshall tube amp. ;D

-----------
Jimbo

Well I am trying to make it sound more like my Marshall when I am out on the road, and all they have is a fender twin, or some other non marshall amp ;) Also, sometimes my marshall clean (the 6100 is better than normal for marshall), is so good, that I can use "Marshall-esqu" boxes in front, and it still shines because of the clean preamp, and the power amp and cab, but this was I don't need the FX loop, and can get use to a "consistent" rig, regardless of amp, as I have become so reliant on backlines (I fly to most places I play).

Don't get me wrong, when I have time for setup, or I am recording I am always using the Marshall for all its glory, I am just looking for something that gets me close, or even like a 4th channel option, for when I need it.

Thanks!

RDV

I can't see the point of marshall-simulating circuit in front of a Marshall tube amp. ;D
Fake channel switching for non-master volume Marshall?

RDV

JimRayden

Quote from: RDV on April 10, 2006, 02:48:05 PM
I can't see the point of marshall-simulating circuit in front of a Marshall tube amp. ;D
Fake channel switching for non-master volume Marshall?

RDV

Sorry, I should have been more precise. My comment was towards his amp and I am pretty sure the 6100 is a master vol.

-----------
Jimbo

erick4x4

Just to clarify, I'm mostly trying to sound like my Marshall, when I don't have my Marshall with me! :) :)

And yes the 6100 is a master volume, and I love all 3 channels!