True Bypass problem, do I need a buffer?

Started by erick4x4, April 10, 2006, 12:41:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

erick4x4

So I never have room or power for all my home built pedals, so today I put my 3 favorite boosts (miniboost, rangemaster, may boost) in one box with 3 dpdt switches connecting them, so I could have one input and output, and 1 power jack, (and save space).

I feel like everything is wired ok, but there is significant decline in treble, and it results in being very muddy, even the treble boosts sound muddy. If I simply put a pedal with a buffer in front (like my old TS-7), then presto everything sounds great on and off.

Is this normal? Is this the classic case against TB, or have I screwed something up.  I will always have pedals on my board that have buffers (everything is in my Boss NS-2 loop, and I always have my trusty Boss Tuner in line) so I am not too worried but, my single pedals don't seem to have this. Is there anything special to multiple circuits chained together switch to switch, or should I be putting a simple buffer inside my "multi" effect pedals because it is now worse.

I am using 22 guage wire, is that too thin? Anything bigger and I can't fit it into the slots on my PCB's.

Thanks!

LyleCaldwell

With all three boost circuits bypassed, is it muddy?  While a buffer (obviously) will fix this, with three effects that close to each other, you shouldn't be getting "tone suck."  How long is the cable from the effects to the amp?  Does the sound change if you use a much shorter cable (like a foot)?
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

erick4x4

Yes it is muddy all 3 bypassed, and with the second cable short it still is muddy. Does it sound like I have something wrong? Bad wiring, bad switches, bad grounds?

Why does it all clean up, bypassed or on, with another pedal in front?

JimRayden

I would guess one of your footswitches are either malfunctioning or have a wiring error, so it leaves something connected to ground. Double and triple check them.

----------
Jimbo

LyleCaldwell

Yup, if it doesn't change with everything bypassed and a short cable, you have a wiring problem.
What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com