5k pot and 1k resistor = 1k pot ???

Started by co13ghoul, April 11, 2006, 04:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

co13ghoul

Hi all, this is my first post, so beware of newbi-ness. I'm working on a project that calls for a 1k pot, but the lowest i can get a hold of for a while is a 5k pot. Could I parallel a 1k resistor across the input and output lugs of the 5k pot to effectively have a 1k pot?

Thanks for any help.

C

chunks717

my math says 1.5k ACROSS the 5k pot will give you close to 1k, tho your taper will probably be pretty lop sided.
the formula for to parallel resisters is (R1*R2)/(R1+R2), which gives you 1,153 ohms in this case. 
so solder one end of the resister to far left lug, and other end to far right lug.
if you have no 1.5k, use 1k, and 470ohm in series........that should do it

co13ghoul

Thank you for your help I should have a 1k5 around here somewhere  ;)

cd

If you need a rheostat (variable resistor) this trick will work.  If you need a voltage divider, like on a Fuzz Face (I'm guessing this is what you need a 1k pot for) you're out of luck.

dave_neal_59

Can you expound upon the won't work as a voltage divider?   

If I'm doing my math correctly, if you connect the 1.5k resistor across lugs 2 (out) and 3 (hot), with lug 1 connected to ground, won't this work as a voltage divider with a reverse audio (or something like it) taper?

:icon_confused:

JimRayden

dave_neal_59

Thanks Jim,

I've been lurking out here for almost a year now and had not seen that site.  It looks quite helpful when doing a "parts on hand" type of build (which seems to be most of mine).  All of us, newbs and not so newbs, truly appreciate having access to the masters.

JimRayden

Now delete the /emh/emh.html part and you land on a page with some great projects to try out.

----------
Jimbo