slight OT, but phono stage preamp advice needed

Started by tennisdude, April 13, 2006, 06:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tennisdude

Hey guys,

I'm interested in building a phono stage preamp, preferably tube. this one looks nice and simple:

http://www.tubebuilder.com/images/schematics/preamps/mwpre01im3.gif

A few questions:
To get 240 volts, I'd need a 1:2 transformer. Also, I'd have to rectify the power (I assume). Any schematics or tips on how to do this? The tubes (6dj8's) need 6.3 volts for the filaments. Is there a transformer available for a 120 volt source that could put out 240 and 6.3? Or, even better, does anyone have a power supply schematic that would fit the bill?

I know this better belongs in a tube amp forum, but you guys here are so helpful  :icon_mrgreen:

thanks a bunch
John

cd

In all honesty, and I'm truly not trying to be harsh, but if you need to ask such simplistic questions, you need to read read read some more.  Not because you're a noob but because screwing up high voltage tube circuits can KILL you.  Seriously.  If you're not 100% comfortable working with AC line voltage (which on its own, again, can kill you) work with something smaller first.  I would suggest building a copy of the Grado PH-1 phono preamp.  It only uses a dual opamp, sounds very good (especially with Grado cartridges) and you can build it in a weekend, including the power supply.

Your first stop for beginning tube reading should be GEO and the Tube amp FAQ:

http://geofex.com/gtramps.htm

In terms of transformers, look into the "Classic" series of transformers by Hammond (www.hammondmfg.com) - they contain both the filament and high voltage secondary windings you need.

tennisdude

Quote from: cd on April 13, 2006, 06:32:09 PM
In all honesty, and I'm truly not trying to be harsh, but if you need to ask such simplistic questions, you need to read read read some more.  Not because you're a noob but because screwing up high voltage tube circuits can KILL you.  Seriously.  If you're not 100% comfortable working with AC line voltage (which on its own, again, can kill you) work with something smaller first.  I would suggest building a copy of the Grado PH-1 phono preamp.  It only uses a dual opamp, sounds very good (especially with Grado cartridges) and you can build it in a weekend, including the power supply.

Your first stop for beginning tube reading should be GEO and the Tube amp FAQ:

http://geofex.com/gtramps.htm

In terms of transformers, look into the "Classic" series of transformers by Hammond (www.hammondmfg.com) - they contain both the filament and high voltage secondary windings you need.

Thanks for the heads up. I am definately a noob in terms of any sort of electronics theory, but I have built a tube amp before and I know how to work carefully with high voltages.

Also, thanks for the transformer recommendations. i'll look at the tube amps article at GEO, but any answers to my question about the rectification (for the filaments or the 2ndary voltage?)

thanks
John