"Doctor Who", a simple ring modulator

Started by toneless, April 14, 2006, 03:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toneless

This is my view on Hemmo's Noise567 and Tim Escopedo's Thing Modulator.
Using 2.2 K limiting resistor allows more treble control from the pot and/or ldr.
Using a 10μF cap across the C3 timing capacitor will shift the internal vco up to the audible range and create a nice and dirty tremolo. There's some clicking at the background but that's ok.
The overall quality of the sound is very impressing. A bad point is that it has a lot of bleed through from tha internal VCO but someone can get rid of it, using a buffer in front of it or a pedal with an internal buffer. The bleed through is still there but it's more suppressed. Using a buffer will make the pedal dead quiet in the bypass mode, too.

All in all quite a good ring mod for it's simplicity. Highly recommended for noisy stuff, if you are that kind...

Have fun.
Nick :icon_cool:

hank reynolds 3rd

EEEXXXXX---TTTEEERRMMMIIII---NNAATTTEEE!!!

(quick head for the stairwell!!)

The Tone God

Unbeliever

JimRayden

Wow, I haven't heard of a "tone decoder" chip before. Anyone care to explain? And how clean is that ring mod?

I guess you learn something new every day. ;D

----------
Jimbo

The Tone God

Quote from: Unbeliever on April 14, 2006, 04:01:27 PM
Before Daleks there were Kaleds.

It depends on which history line you follow. There are a couple but since different writers have taken the helm. Some have seen it fit to make retroactive changes to the Dalek history.

The original line was that they were the fallout from a quick nuclear war between the Dal and Thal races. Later in the next history version the Dals were renamed the Kaled (anagram of Dalek) and through a very long ugly war with the Thal resulted with horrible mutations of the Dals. A mad scientist called Davros sped up and refined the mutations finally placing them into "tanks" that echoed Davor's chair design. These become the Daleks.

The difference have been explained by some as the Doctor changing the Dalek's history timeline somewhere in some adventure. I'm also working off early memory.

Also the stair issue was resolved awhile back in the late 80's/early 90's with the Daleks being able to hover. The blind spot was also solved with the center section becoming rotatable in the newer versions. The hover ability was taken good advantage of in the finally of the first season in the new series I thought.

Andrew

Connoisseur of Distortion

ughhhhh this thread reminds me... i need to get back at that string ringer... ughhhhhhhhhhh wiring...  :'( :'( :'(

tcobretti

Not to derail the thread, but what ring modulator do you guys recommend?  I have no experience with them and have been thinking of building one.

Connoisseur of Distortion

depends what you want. for a really flexible, advanced build, go for the string ringer. it's the lovetone ring modulator.

Unbeliever

Quote from: The Tone God on April 14, 2006, 04:25:30 PM
It depends on which history line you follow. There are a couple but since different writers have taken the helm.

I'm going on the book of the 'first Dalek episode', whatever that was. I wouldn't subscribe to any modern 'rewriting' that's for sure ... :)

Back to the thread .... :)

gez

"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

toneless

Nice Dalek history :icon_eek:
Anyway tcobretti "doctor who" or Tim Escopedo's Thing modulator is a nice way to start. For something really advanced and for all the ring mod stuff you'll ever need, go for the Ring Stinger.