News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

MiniBooster

Started by aziltz, April 14, 2006, 10:35:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Well this is a case of 'if you know', and I would agree with those who believe Dave B. uses that wire for good reason.
  wiring offboard pots and switches is fine with solid core AFAIKTell, I have used it and had no problems except the usual cracking wire because of bending at the same place a few times, and that's all it really takes is a few times, I don't know exactly when this becomes electronically signifigant, but from experience with high currents, stressed parts of the wire burn first because of higher resistance in the bended portion.
  Nice smooth surfaces have less surface area, this means less exposure to oxidation at least.
  I find it's alot easier for me to know all wiring is totally intact and in good conditiion when I don't use solid core for 'anything that moves'.
  I'm not sure I understand about the skin, what your'e saying,...not a matter really, the main point I think is don't use solid core wire where it is going to develop cracks, or break off completely.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

roknjohn

"Alright so my first build is complete, its in the box, and it works. "

Hang in there Aziltz, I think most of us have had to work our way through these types of problems when we first started. Sounds like you were able find the sources of your problems. Next time you encounter a similar problem you will know where to start looking. With each project you'll get more experience, and probably more problems to work your way through. The key is to develop a system of troubleshooting that works for you. Some folks start with voltage measurements, others start by tracing the audio to the trouble spot.

Sounds like you have things working properly, Right?

So, what's next?

aziltz

Things are great now, i think my problems stemmed from using the solid core wiring in the small 125B box, construction was a bit rushed (atleast the wiring) b.c of finals and such.  i really like what the box does and i'm really proud of my first design,  as of yet its unpainted.  i am probalby going to get a predrilled/painted box of a bigger size and rewire this thing so its more reliable, but fixing the broken ground wire fixed my problems.

Next?  either a fuzz box for another guy in my band that is graduating this year, or a phaser or chorus/vibrato for myself. 

I'd like to thank people here on the forum and jack orman for his great design and for making his pcb available.  I might try the mosfet boost next, and add it to this one in a bigger box.