Colorsound wah: substitute for 2n5089?

Started by speedknob, April 16, 2006, 04:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedknob

Hi.

I've been considering about building a Colorsound wah clone. Unfortunately I haven't found 2n5089's anywhere nearby. Would 2n3904's or 2n2222A's work instead? As far as I know they both have lower gain than the 59's and more noise. How does this affect the sound?

JimRayden

2N5088 would be an excellent replacement. More available too.

If I'm not mistaken, lower gain transistor would result in a less dramatic wah-effect. You'll lose a bit of range. Propably not too much to make the circuit unusable. I guess you'll be ok.

----------
Jimbo

Nasse

• SUPPORTER

John Lyons

Just use a transitor socket and try a few different ones. The 2N5089 is what I used but it will work with MPAS18 or 2N5088 or others
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dave_B

Does anyone have any good samples/examples of this pedal?  I've heard Brian May used it on Good Company (A Night at The Opera - 1975), but I'm not sure that was confirmable.  Whatever he used there, I want one.   :)
Help build our Wiki!

mac

mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

JimRayden

Or if your low-gain 3904's leave to be desired and you have nothing else at hand, use them in the following configuration:

----------
Jimbo

TheBishop

In Canada, our Radio Shacks have a variety blister pack of transistors. It always includes 6*2n5088, plus some other random goodies including sometimes the 2n5089, 2n4001 and those MPAS18.

link

speedknob

John Lyons

I have a couple samples of the colorsound wah here. Manual wah...no rocker, but I did some sweeps...
http://mrdwab.com/john/Pedals.html  just scroll down to the wah pedal...
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dave_B

Quote from: Basicaudio on April 17, 2006, 09:23:49 PM
I have a couple samples of the colorsound wah here.
That's a cool sound.  So, did you start with this circuit then add the resonance control, or am I looking at the wrong schematic?  Thanks.
Help build our Wiki!

Toney

Where are you?
I'll send you a couple if your in the Australia/Pacific region.

John Lyons

The schematic I used is the inductorless one here:

The cool thing is that you don't need the $15 inductor...

Replace the 33K to ground and you have a variable resonance control that will really get crazy near oscillation. You can make it a free running oscillator if you crank it. Foot theremin!

There is a PCB layout at DIY guitarist.com in his wah pages...Just add the resonance control.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Dave_B

Help build our Wiki!

cerelac kid

I'VE BUILD THE DROP-IN WAH VOX 847, WHEN I TRIED TO TEST IT, THERE IS NO CHANGES IN SOUND OUTPUT.IT'S ALL JUST A CLEAN TONE.WHEN I SWITCH IT'S ALL THE SAME.COULD ANYONE HELP ME?....PLS....
" man is a true nature of a beast "

mac

Basicaudio,
I built my own wah with a similar circuit but instead of the variable resistor I used a LDR. Basically because I was tired of replacing the pot.
Replace the 470 + 100K pot with a LDR. Use a fixed bulb or LED to drop light over the LDR. The trick is to use a foot controlled device to change the amount of light over the LDR, and so changing its resistance.
I used a broken variable pot. It is easy to build some screen to fit between the LDR and the light source.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84