Super speed tremolo?

Started by JimRayden, April 16, 2006, 06:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

I remember listening to a soundclip of a really flexible tremolo. One could turn up it's speed to the point it sounded like a ring modulator.

So, I need a schem of a tremolo that goes to few hundred herz. It would be fun to reach kHz too. :D Perhaps mod the EA?

-------------
Jimbo

no one ever

(chk chk chk)

Ge_Whiz

Any tremolo would do it. Reduce the value of the timing capacitors in the LFO until it reaches the range you want.

JimRayden

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on April 16, 2006, 06:26:30 PM
Any tremolo would do it. Reduce the value of the timing capacitors in the LFO until it reaches the range you want.

Thanks. Well, Lazy as I am, I'm going for the lowest part count. Is there a simpler tremolo than the EA?

---------
Jimbo

puretube

Quote from: Ge_Whiz on April 16, 2006, 06:26:30 PM

any non-LDR - tremolo...

Processaurus

Maybe the EA, but ditch the LFO section, with its limited range.  You could easily graft the 555 LFO that the Tremulous lune uses on there, before the depth pot.  A reverse log pot or a faked one with tapering resistors would be neccessary for the rate control, otherwise the LFO would be super speed for 3/4 of the pots rotation.

if you just wanted super speed, though, and wanted to keep it simple, you could just make an EA trem with the 3 caps in the LFO section much smaller.  The LFO section is so small and simple, its easy to make a couple of them on the same board (say regular speed, and ring mod speed), with a speed pot for each, and switch between the them.  Easy. 

Transmogrifox just posted this clever mod for getting better depth from EA too:   
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43902.0

R.G.

JEN Modulator. CJlectronics.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.