Speaker for 386 headphone amp

Started by Single Coil, April 17, 2006, 10:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Single Coil

I made a LM386 headphone amp which turns out to be a bit too much power for my headphones. If I wanted to make a small speaker cabinet for this, what would be the ideal speakers for this? I think this would make a really cool little practice amp. My headphones fart out really bad unless I roll the volume way down. But when the volume is set right, I get what I think is a really cool, nice tweed like tone. Would it be able to run a couple of quality 4" or 6" speakers. I've heard that it could run a 4x12 cabinet but I couldn't get it to do much with my one 12" speaker in my 1x12 combo amp.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

bancika

It can easily run 4x12, I run it on 1x12 greenback 25W. IMO, with speakers the thing is: bigger is better. If you insist on small ones take a look at Jensen MOD (pretty cheap) and Weber Signature (also not expensive). I wouldn't go with anything that's not especially made for guitar.
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Single Coil

Quote from: bancika on April 17, 2006, 11:21:32 AM
It can easily run 4x12, I run it on 1x12 greenback 25W. IMO, with speakers the thing is: bigger is better. If you insist on small ones take a look at Jensen MOD (pretty cheap) and Weber Signature (also not expensive). I wouldn't go with anything that's not especially made for guitar.

Bigger is better really!? Any speaker with a 25W rating will work with it. (I wounder what I was doing wrong when I tried it through my 1x12 combo speaker). I'll look at the Jensen and the Weber Sig. Thank you.

bancika

25w is only an example, 386 produces less than a watt of power, any speaker above 1w will do the job
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here