News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tone control

Started by aziltz, April 19, 2006, 10:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

i'm sorry for the newbie-ness of this question, but i can't find the answer anywhere and the search is broken.

I have a mini-booster, almost done, i'm about to drill the box and wire it up.  I want to add a tone control, i buit the buffered version.

I have a 100k linear taper pot to use for tone.  i know how to calculate what frequency cutoff a low pass filter would give, but what range do i want for guitar? whats a good value cap to start with for a 100k pot? i want to just roll off the highs like a kosher tone control.  I guess i'm going to be soldering the cap to the pot so i want to get the value right so i don't have to do any monkeying around after i wire it up.

Thanks.

aziltz

wampcat1

Quote from: aziltz on April 19, 2006, 10:31:37 PM
i'm sorry for the newbie-ness of this question, but i can't find the answer anywhere and the search is broken.

I have a mini-booster, almost done, i'm about to drill the box and wire it up.  I want to add a tone control, i buit the buffered version.

I have a 100k linear taper pot to use for tone.  i know how to calculate what frequency cutoff a low pass filter would give, but what range do i want for guitar? whats a good value cap to start with for a 100k pot? i want to just roll off the highs like a kosher tone control.  I guess i'm going to be soldering the cap to the pot so i want to get the value right so i don't have to do any monkeying around after i wire it up.

Thanks.

aziltz

Just do some experimenting... .01uf / .022uf / .033uf etc.
A 20k or 50k pot may work a bit better (better range) but you never know.

Hope that helps! :)

bw

aziltz

Thanks,

is a linear pot the way to go for tone.
audio taper for volume, etc?

-aziltz

no one ever

Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control

(chk chk chk)

Mark Hammer

no one ever

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 20, 2006, 10:32:27 AM
Which can be found here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/mhammer/SWTC.gif

thanks mark! i've had a hard time finding it on your site lately... there's SO MUCH info there  :icon_mrgreen:
(chk chk chk)

Mark Hammer

Stuff gets switched around there without me knowing about it.  Until a year or two ago, new content would push down the stack of existing content such that the oldest stuf was on later pages.  I'm still not sure how material added last year ended up on page 12.  Perhaps more irritating, there is material I need to edit or remove, and I can't.