Thunderchief.....how much gain?

Started by powerplayj, April 21, 2006, 01:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

powerplayj

How much gain does this thing have say compared to a BSIABII........or what type of musical territory can it reach going into a clean amp? 
builds completed: boutique fuzz, rangemaster, BSIAB2, PT-80, Tonepad wah, Ross Comp, Axis Fuzz, MOSFET boost, Thunderchief, Big Muff (triangle), Mr. EQ, Dr. Boogey,  Neovibe, Dist+, EA Tremelo, ADA Flanger, RM Octavia
next build(s): ???

olcircuits

Powerplayj,

I had just built a Thunderchief for a photo-essay to post on my site. Timing was right and your question interested me, so I went about addressing it. This was a fun little excursion to break up my day. Battle of the cranked Marshall amp-u-lators, anyone? :)

For a direct comparison, check out the first Thunderchief clip vs. the only BSAIB2 clip (at the bottom). I use a Re@mp for this type of comparison (the reason the playing sounds identical) and there is no amp distortion in any of my clips. I don't know if you could audition two pedals more directly than this!

http://www.olcircuits.com/olckits.html

tcobretti

That's a nice comparison.  It's pretty interesting hearing how similar they sound, but then also to identify the differences.  The BSIAB sounds alittle brighter to me.  Was that your impression as well?

olcircuits

tcobretti,

The BSIAB2 is brighter, but has a tone control which the Thunderchief does not have. I really like the midrange of the BSIAB2 with the tone control at 50%-60%. For a wide-open sound, though, I like the Thunderchief.