The learning process

Started by rockgardenlove, April 21, 2006, 09:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockgardenlove

Sorry if this is kind of a weird post, but oh well.

I understand how the basic bipolar transistor circuit works...circuits like a simple booster and simple overdrives like the Easy Drive...now anything else I contemplate building just seems a bit over my head.  I know I could easily physically go build some monstor circuit, but I'd rather build something that will teach me something that will let me move onto something a bit harder, and so on. 

So at the moment, I've built a Rangemaster, a Fuzzface, and an Easy Drive, and I understand how they all work...whats a good build that will help me learn something without causing complete befuddlment.

Thanks  :)

Toney

I like learning by doing!

I would suggest learning how to draw up your own layouts-start simple and try to stop and research each roadblock or why-is-it-so moment.

You will learn rapidly...

markm

Yes, layouts.
That's where I'm looking to learn too.
Takes time and patience I would guess.

Toney

Like the old Nike ad.......Just do it!

Got to start somewhere/sometime.

I approach them as a leasure activity ....kinda like a complex crossword.

redeffect

Try some basic op amp circuits. The list is endless.  Also, start reading manufacturers spec sheets. They are a great source of info. Then , go for it! Nothing like building 'em  as a learning experience!
All the best in your future builds!
red

RaceDriver205

Try building a compressor next. They also perform a relatively simple function, and their workings would probably not be hard to understand.

Unbeliever

Quote from: rockgardenlove on April 21, 2006, 09:18:38 PM
So at the moment, I've built a Rangemaster, a Fuzzface, and an Easy Drive, and I understand how they all work...whats a good build that will help me learn something without causing complete befuddlment.

Roland Bee-baa - it has three transistors / stages, more parts than the FX you have listed, and debugging voltages on RGs page - sounds kick-arse / ass too! There's also the commonsound line of FX, all with schematics, PCBs, kits, and assistance if you get stuck.

In my experience, the 'understanding' follows after the 'doing', sometimes a long time after... :( :) ... just keeping building, fixing mistakes as they occur, looking over schematics. Also, checkout Synth-diy sites / schematics etc - the cats that are into that stuff often have a very, very good understanding of electronics, much more so (IMHO) than the standard stompbox builder.

psiico

Here's a newb's opinion.  Build whatver you want, and do it on a breadboard first.  Play with the values of components, see what changes they make.  My first build was an Electra, followed by a Phuncgnosis and then a Psychtar.  I still don't know how the Psychtar works but I built it and it works.  I've breadboarded literally dozens of circuits, trying to find which ones I want to build.  I built 4 or 5 tremolos, the Easyvibe was my favorite.  That's a complicated circuit to build (for me) but wasn't hard to understand.  Just jump in and do it man, there's no substitute for experiance.

gez

I second the op-amp idea.  Breadboard a few boosters, inverting and non-inverting.  This will teach you how to set gain, plus how to boost/cut treble with input/feedback caps.  Then try a simple diode clipper...just my 2p's worth.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

rockgardenlove

Alright, thanks guys.  I think I'll build the Aussie compressor next, along with Jack Ormans Son of Screamer.