Fuzz Face clone not liking a great vintage tube amp

Started by SISKO, April 22, 2006, 03:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SISKO

Hi.
   Well, after reading this topic http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=28198.0 , i decided to open this topic because i have a similar problem. Here is my situation: I`m using a buffered wah then to the fuzz face trough a SS marshall-ish amp. In this way the ff sounds beautiful, like it should. But when i change my amp to a fender twin reverb it sound like a misbiased transistor (actually that is a fuzz face) but sound harsh, cold, VERY like a silicon transistor...

Does anyone had this strange behaviour before?
Did it hapend to someone?

ROCK ON
Bye
SISKO
--Is there any body out there??--

mac

The topic you mentioned is about RM and some bright fenders. I guess the RM was designed to give life to some dark english amps. It is not strange what you say about the FF.
Both pedals sound nice through my laneys LC even though they are brighter than the big marshalls I used to have.
When I built my FF I tested different transistors (switching, power, driver, etc) and decided for a couple of dark germanius.
I wonder if there is a mod that may avoid this problem, and at the same time make it sound good on marshalls.

mac
mac@mac-pc:~$ sudo apt-get install ECC83 EL84

tcobretti

Yeah, Fenders are very bright amps, and that brings out the treble in the FF.  A classic trick is use a parametric EQ to shape the freqs coming out of the fuzz.  I'd try the eq before and after the fuzz just to see what happens. 

SISKO

Thanks.. yes.. I know that the topic was about a RM but it just that it inspired me (¿?) to post this topic  :icon_wink:
So, its a common problem you said, uh? well i will try to change some values and puts some switches in there. Lets call it Marshall/Fender..OK?. :icon_rolleyes:
As soon as i have made this mod i upload here at the forum

Thanks.
ROCK ON
Bye
SISKO

brett

Hi.
Have you looked inside that amp?  Is it ALL valve?

Some Fenders (pre-CBS - about 1972 on ??) have antiparallel diodes and an op-amp at the input that clip anything over 0.7V - they sound terrible with most boosters, etc.  Does your setup sound better if the fuzzface is turned down and the amp is turned up?

Unfortunately, the low-headroom solid state preamp persisted for some time, and was used a lot in Fender's MusicMan amps (e.g. the 2265).

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

JimRayden

It had been said it was a Twin Reverb, which usually refers to a certain 80-100W Fender all-valve amp with two 12" speakers. ;)

----------------
Jimbo

analogmike

Quote from: SISKO on April 22, 2006, 03:45:10 PM
Hi.
   : I`m using a buffered wah then to the fuzz face trough a SS marshall-ish amp. In this way the ff sounds beautiful, like it should. But when i change my amp to a fender twin reverb it sound like a misbiased transistor (actually that is a fuzz face) but sound harsh, cold, VERY like a silicon transistor...

A good fuzzface clone will sound awesome through a clean fender tube amp. We test ours through a '66 Deluxe Reverb set between 2-3 on the volume knob.

Maybe your problem is the buffered wah, a fuzzface does not work well with buffers in front of it. Try guitar -> FF -> amp and see how that sounds.

Good luck!
DIY has unpleasant realities, such as that an operating soldering iron has two ends differing markedly in the degree of comfort with which they can be grasped. - J. Smith

mike  ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~   vintage guitar effects

http://www.analogman.com

AL

QuoteA good fuzzface clone will sound awesome through a clean fender tube amp. We test ours through a '66 Deluxe Reverb set between 2-3 on the volume knob.

Really ? Can I buy it from you... er ... What I meant to say was... I have a 1972 Quad Reverb. That's a twin in a 4x12" package (if anyone is getting tired of me explaining that let me know  :icon_smile:) and I'm not a big fan of a Fuzz Face through it either. A Deluxe, on the hand, is a different beast. My FF clone sounds great through my Marshalls as well as my Bassmans but my Quad... yuck!!

But, then again, you've got way more experience than I do on this so maybe I should go back and try this again. I haven't tried it with the Quad since I blackfaced it.

AL

brianwenz

Hello Hello--
      Fuzz Faces, Tonebenders, Rangemasters, etc.  were all originally designed to be played through British amps with EL-34 or EL-84 circuits [except the very early Marshall 6L6 or KT-66 circuits] and will sound good through early Fender tweed amps [like Bassmans.....] too.   The later black-face and silver face circuits will not get you the same sound at all [although some people do use them......]  without some mods to the circuit.  A stock  Fender Twin [silver or black face] simply won't sound good with a FF or TB.  A Marshall or Vox is a perfect match!
Brian.

SISKO

Hi all, thanks.
First, yup... its an all tube based amp... so theres no op amp.
Second, when I'm not using any buffered pedal in front of it it sound less fuzzy, loosing some of its character, but when i place a buffered pedal, it changes radically. I was thinking about something like  the impedance of my transistors was very low, loading down the guitar signal.(could this be?)
Something similar happens with my rangemaster, being more sparkly when I'm using a buffered pedal, but i like it the other way, tough. Of course, trough my darky, marshall-ish amp :icon_cool:
Thanks a million time!!
ROCK ON
Bye
SISKO