Can someone review this Blues Breaker Volume Boost Layout?

Started by 12StringStratMaker, April 25, 2006, 07:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

12StringStratMaker

Hi guys,
My buddy asked me to make him a blues breaker pedal (the layout from generalguitargadgets), except he wanted a volume boost built in.  As this is a learning site, I drew up what I thought would get this done, but wanted to make sure:
A) it would work?
B) there wouldn't be issues of popping at the boost switch?

I got permission from JD to post it here for a while, which I think is very nice.  Basically I added another 3pdt switch that toggles in a different volume pot, so that he can set two different volume levels.  I wasn't sure if a larger pot size would work though, since in some schematics pedals they only use two lugs so that it's simply one variable resistor (and 0K is 0k on both pots).  So in this case, where they use all 3, would this help out by going to a 250k log?

Everything new is to the right of the PCB.

aziltz

so your boost is a switch between 2 different volume settings? seems like it would work.  I'm not sure how to answer the popping question. sorry.

scaesic

i don't think it's really technically a "boost", but it could work fine.

Jay Doyle

Quote from: scaesic on April 25, 2006, 09:47:57 AM
i don't think it's really technically a "boost", but it could work fine.

Hey, it worked for Fuller, why not everyone?  :-\

12StringStratMaker

Thanks, I figured it was simple enough, but would the 250k pot actually create more available volume level?
The schematic of it is at generalguitargadgets.com

scaesic

Quote from: 12StringStratMaker on April 25, 2006, 02:08:03 PM
Thanks, I figured it was simple enough, but would the 250k pot actually create more available volume level?
The schematic of it is at generalguitargadgets.com

no, but it would cut less volume.

rockgardenlove

Roobin

If you want a 'real' boost, you could try putting an opamp or transistor stage before/after it. See GgG, under 'Boosters'.

To stop the pop, (if there is on) you could try putting the volume boost before the output resitor to ground, so the switching stuff is basically instead of the volume pot.