Too much mid scoop?

Started by Branimir, April 25, 2006, 08:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Branimir

I've been messing around with my diy opamp big muff and i can't help to notice that the whole sounds sounds a bit 'mid scooped'...

I use diy "Orange" clone (LTP phase inverter & 2xEL34), with this tonestack: orange.tsc (duncan tonestack simulator file), and a  opamp bmp clone with this tonestak: opamp big muff.tsc.

Although there is a slight change to the orange tonestack, in the place of R3 there is a 25k potentiometer that i usually turn all the way up (maximum resistance to the ground 25k), so you may try to alter the value of R3 to 25k to get my amps actually middle frequency response... (I turn the bass to 85% i think, treble all the way)

I have the muff somewhere around 60%, well sort of, it's there around the middle...

I have a strat type guitar with dimarzio air zone pickup in the bridge (nice pickup, has fair amount of middles, not as scooped as seymour d. JB for instance).

Haven't tried the whole setup with my band, but i get a slight feeling this sound is a bit scooped for my taste! Maybe my ears are telling me wrong (i work as a sound tech in a local club), but there could be more middles in this whole setup. Of coures with middle dimmed to 0 on my amp, it sounds WAAY scooped and turning it up i can here guitar "coming" up...

Maybe it's coz of the muff, with other pedals before, i didn't have that scooped feeling...

I'm sure there's more than one bmp user out there, how do these things act in band situations?
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

Doug_H

I never liked the bmp tone control for that reason. The deep notch and tuning makes the majority of settings on it unusable for me. There have been a lot of mods posted for it though, to adjust for individual taste. I think Jack Orman has some bmp tone control modding ideas at his AMZ site.

Doug

Branimir

Oh you mean this article? Interesting stuff... I could use some ideas to improve the mid response...
Umor

Built: Fuzz Face, Small Stone, Trem Lune, Fet Muff, Big Muff (green), Fuxx Face, Son of Screamer, Rat, Rebote 2.5, Opamp Big Muff, EA Tremolo, Easyvibe, Axis Face Si

WGTP

Check out the BMP type tone stack on the Obsidian of Joe Davidson's pedals.  They don't have much of a notch at all.   :icon_cool:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/pedals/obsidian.gif
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames