News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

TL082 Buffer

Started by Noplasticrobots, April 26, 2006, 03:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noplasticrobots

I breadboarded the voltage divided buffer from http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm

I used a TL082 because that's what I had laying around. I hate to see the second op amp stage go to waste because I paid way too much for it at Rat Shack (I know, I know...) so I wanna get my money's worth! So is their anything useful to do with the seond stage?

I love the smell of solder in the morning.

hairyandy

Make two buffers with two sets of jacks in one box for those gigs when you want to bring out two amps...or make a simple opamp boost with the other half.
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

Processaurus

Hairy, you beat me to it, but anyway here it is:

make a dual buffer/ active splitter, so you can split stuff and whats happening on one output won't interact with the other output.  To do that, split the signal at the input to the first opamp, and just duplicate the opamp part and the 10uF output cap.  That way you don't have to make two bias sections.  You'll want to put a 100K-1M resistor to ground after each 10uF cap, to stop DC building up from the caps leaking.  A 1 Meg to ground before the input cap would be good too.

Noplasticrobots

Just in case this has anything to do with it, I'm building this buffer for a gigging friend who plays bass. Are there any exceptions to the buffer that need to be made to accomodate a bass instead of guitar?

As for the second op amp, my buddy only has and uses one amp for gigging so in this case splitting the signal seems kinda pointless, but it is a good idea. However he plays guitar at home, so is it possible to build a guitar/bass buffer from the same chip, or is a buffer a buffer a buffer?

If a buffer is a buffer no matter what, I'll probably just go with a simple boost. Thanks for the help so far!

trevize

make the superbuffer if you want an opamp buffer.
you will use both opamp for buffering the signal and you have the possibility to add antother dual opamp
as well. this buffer sounds nice to me, altough i usually prefer fet buffer for guitar.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/superbuff.htm

Noplasticrobots

This super buffer looks great! However, do I need to sub anything for use with bass? (the page title specifies "super buffer for use with guitar")

jxoco

just drive an LED with the extra amp to the beat of the music, A seeing eye mod for a buffer...

Satch12879

You don't have to do anything to accomodate bass; the frequency response is pretty wide on Jack's design.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

Noplasticrobots

Ben N

I think it ought oto be possible to use shorting jacks to configure a Super Buffer to also work as a splitter--just have the parallel outputs mixed to a single jack, unless there is something also plugged into the second jack.  As for uses for bass players, I think it is fairly common these days for bassists to run straight into a mixing board for their sound (assuming a capable PA), and maybe use a smallish amp for monitoring only.  Well, right there is your application.  Just be aware that you may need more headroom if you put the splitter in line level fx loop, so maybe run it at higher voltage or bipolar.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER