Some non-technical questions about stompbox building

Started by icurays1, April 26, 2006, 10:49:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiges_ tendres

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave) on April 28, 2006, 08:30:08 AM
Quote from: icurays1 on April 27, 2006, 04:12:21 AM
Oh, and yeah, we have packaging design classes too haha laame

If you think package design is 'laame', I advise you to give up any thought of commercial success.
Anywhere, really.

I understand how practical hammond boxes are.  Function follows form and all that.  But if I see one more hammond style box with a nice paint job, I might just have to learn how to weld or cast!

I think this is one of the areas where you can really see the "hobby" aspect of stompboxes, because it is so hard to make an interesting enclosure without learning an entirely new skill set, and spending thousands of dollars on the tools or manufacturing costs.  A cost which is beyond the hobby.

I have decided to try and make my own enclosures, I'll post pictures when I have the appropriate skills!
Try a little tenderness.

icurays1

Ah, wait now - hold the presses.

The package design class I was particularly refrencing deals with styrofoam, plastic, and cardboard packaging...

My biggest selling point will be an interesting "package", meaning box.  I've got some way cool ideas as far as that's concerned, and didn't think I was refrencing the effect box when using my 'laame' tag.

but mark, i copied and pasted your last post because i think it's a great bit of stuff to remember for building boxes.  thanks!

I'm going to try my best to be original and functional at the same time...and quality goes without saying.

~nick

calpolyengineer

Yes, that too is what I meant by packaging, the actual cardboard box that products come in. This field deals with figuring out how much pre-assembly to do, how best to fit all the stuff into the box, box dimensions to fit best on pallets, etc. The designs and decals and stuff is an advertising/graphics communications project, not an engineering one.

-Joe

A.S.P.

I understood it too, like this:

compared to this:

Analogue Signal Processing

icurays1

haha, yes - and which is the cooler pedal?

thats right.  EH wins.  psh...plastic. that second pedal looks like it'd be sold @ wall-mart...

of course...imho.
-nick