Orange Squeezer Build - Need Help

Started by comeau, April 27, 2006, 09:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

comeau

Hello everyone, I've been lurking here for a while as I've been learning to build.  I've been working on an Orange Squeezer for a while now and unfortunately it's not working.  I get sound through to the amp when I have it switched to bypass (using a 3PDT switch), but when I switch to the effect, I get no sound at all going through the amp.

I'm using the tonepad schematic for the Orange Squeezer (version 2 2004) http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=5 with my own layout.

I've used all the listed parts as I made a purpose order to get everything I needed for this build.  The only thing that's not as specified is that I've used a 1N34A germanium diode where there was the option of two types.  This is the result of the build.

The voltages at the important bits are:

battery - 9.28

IC1
pin 1 - 8.62
pin 2 - 8.62
pin 3 - 0.00
pin 4 - 0.00
pin 5 - 9.27
pin 6 - 8.62
pin 7 - 7.16
pin 8 - 0.85

Q1
d - 0.00
s - 0.00
g - 0.00

Q2
d - 9.27
s - 1.35
g - 0.00

D1
A - 0.00
K - 0.00

So clearly I've made a mistake somewhere.  I've compared my voltages to those provided at http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/instructions/orngs_inst.htm where they have Q1 and Q2 notation reversed, but it looks like I've got something going on at Q2 maybe?  I'm very new to all of this and have been trying to do as much as I can on my own, but I've reached a point where I'm a little lost and could really use some pointers.  I've already made some mistakes (and fixed them) so I'm not that surprised that there's still something wrong, but I've gone beyond my very basic debugging skills.  I hope someone can help me out a little.

Thanks in advance.

Ashurbanipal

Your pin 8 voltage should be 9 instead of pin 5, but from what I can see from the pictures, it looks like your +9 goes to pin 8, so I suspect you just listed the pin numbers out of order.

1     8
2     7
3     6
4     5

Other than that, I only have general debugging tips. Use a wire with alligator clips on each end with one to the output and the other shorting to various places where you think sound should come from, like pin 7 of the opamp. Maybe you can find up to what point the circuit is good. Use a really bright light and double-check your build against both the layout and schematic and look for shorts.