Triad - First Production Enclosure Photos

Started by LyleCaldwell, April 27, 2006, 11:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LyleCaldwell

I'm pretty giddy over this - I figure my fellow pedal geeks ought to get a kick out of it too.

The final enclosure will be almost a half inch shorter than this, but this is a good look at the construction methods and details.  The enclosure is 16 gauge cold rolled steel.  While the plastic knobs wouldn't appreciate it, we could do one of those stupid ads with a truck rolling over the box and it wouldn't blink an eye.  The width is 7.25" and the depth is 4.5".  The height will be right around 1.25" minus the knobs and switches.

Note the precise fit of everything (I lust after the shop's digital calipers), the stainless steel screws and nuts (the nuts are permanently embedded in the steel walls), and while you can't see it (though you can see the imprint to the right of the jacks in the second photo) there is a flushmounted grounding screw on the inside.

The finish will be matte black powdercoat with white silkscreened graphics.

Pending having the vertical height reduced in the morning, enclosure production commences tomorrow.

What does this button do?

psionicaudio.com

goodrevdoc

Looking really great! Would love to know more about silkscreening over powdercoat, as its given me trouble in the past.

LyleCaldwell

I'm going to try to be there when the shop does the silkscreening.  The paint they use is very expensive, but once it dries it doesn't come off.  I tried to scratch it off with a key and couldn't mar it at all.  But I only have a very general knowledge of the process myself.

psionicaudio.com

rockgardenlove

jjucius

Nice build, the ink i use for screening is gloss enamel i drill then powder coat then do the silk screen and let it set up over night then shoot a coat of clear powder over that. it works great.
later
Joe
www.kustompowder.net

LyleCaldwell

Thanks, Joe.

Certainly not a criticism of your work, but I chose the matte finish with no clearcoat because I want to avoid any glare.  Stage lights can reflect off shiny pedals, and give you big yellow circles in your vision.  I hate that - nearly stuck an SM57 up my nose in front of 1000 people once because of that.

psionicaudio.com

rockgardenlove

Joe, I sent you an email about that box yesterday...did you get it?  Thanks.

(Sorry for stealing the thread for a second Lyle.)

jjucius

I just use the clear to protect the ink, i havent checked how well the ink would hold up without the clear but there is an additive i have been wanting to try that is called gloss killer you mix with the clear. keep up the good work, i have started picking up my guitar again since i have started getting some feeling back in my left hand after my stroke. if you or any one needs some help or tips on what i do just ask, theres a great bunch of people here and all of you are what has kept me going.
Joe
Rockgardenlove:  yes i got your e-mail i am sending you a pm

LyleCaldwell

Joe,

That's great!  While not as severe as a stroke, I lost half of the tip of my left hand ring finger in a wood planer about 13 years ago, and thought for awhile I was going to have to learn how to play left handed.  So, in a limited way, I know what a relief your must feel to be able to play again, even at some diminished level.  My vibrato has never recovered and my speed is more limited, but I find ways around it.  Still feels like getting stung by a bee every time I fret using that finger, but that's life.

I'll find out what kind of ink the shop uses.  I know the black is costing me $3.57 per pound and I had to buy a 55lb box of it.  There is a great silver color I wanted to use until I found out it costs $6 per pound.  The good news is I can do a lot more than just my initial run of 100 enclosures with that 55lbs of paint, so it works out to be cheap per enclosure.  But I hate up front costs. 

My Mouser bill is through the roof.

psionicaudio.com

MartyMart

Superb looking enclosure and PCB  :D
Is that about the size of a 1590DD  ? (Toadworks Death rattle size)
.... just a little deeper perhaps, just wondering if that would have
been enough space ?

Nice !

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

bancika

That looks great, very professional!
I'd paint enclosure, but that's me  :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

spudulike

I dont suppose you could defray the enclosure cost by selling some of those enclosures (unfinished, maybe undrilled) separately, maybe on the forum ? I know I could use half a dozen of those myself  ...

<Edit> Really good looking work so far, cant wait to see the finished articles  :icon_smile:

markm

Quote from: spudulike on April 28, 2006, 06:02:20 AM
I dont suppose you could defray the enclosure cost by selling some of those enclosures (unfinished, maybe undrilled) separately, maybe on the forum ? I know I could use half a dozen of those myself  ...

<Edit> Really good looking work so far, cant wait to see the finished articles  :icon_smile:

Or maybe, just one enclosure??!!
Looks fantastic and a nice change from the same old aluminum.
  MarkM

LyleCaldwell

Thanks.  I used a 1590DD for the two prototypes.  The enclosure shown above is about .5" taller than a 1590DD, and the final version will be either the same size or a little shorter as the 1590DD.

Quote from: MartyMart on April 28, 2006, 04:10:18 AM
Superb looking enclosure and PCB  :D
Is that about the size of a 1590DD  ? (Toadworks Death rattle size)
.... just a little deeper perhaps, just wondering if that would have
been enough space ?

Nice !

Marty.

psionicaudio.com

LyleCaldwell

It will be painted in black powdercoat.  This was a sample to make sure every part fit, so no finish was applied.

Quote from: bancika on April 28, 2006, 04:50:06 AM
That looks great, very professional!
I'd paint enclosure, but that's me  :)

psionicaudio.com

LyleCaldwell

Quote from: spudulike on April 28, 2006, 06:02:20 AM

No, the whole purpose of it is to have the punched and painted boxes with graphics.  If you want one unfinished and undrilled just get a Hammond 1590DD.

psionicaudio.com

Coriolis

Very nice, Lyle! Makes me want to get a bending brake and some sheet metal, but, alas- no room or money for that...
Best of luck with your business!
C
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

John Lyons

Wow, That looks fantastic! Another cool benefit to the steel is that it's heavy and will stay put better on stage.
I'd probably use thin/shallow bumpers on the bottom to keep the overall height down. Great job!
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

LyleCaldwell

Thanks!  The final height will be almost .5" shorter than the version in the photos, and I have these little thin square 3M pads just waiting.  I figure most players will use Dual Lock, so keeping the height as low as possible is important to me.

psionicaudio.com

MartyMart

Quote from: LyleCaldwell on April 28, 2006, 11:16:16 AM
Thanks!  The final height will be almost .5" shorter than the version in the photos, and I have these little thin square 3M pads just waiting.  I figure most players will use Dual Lock, so keeping the height as low as possible is important to me.

Great, probably worth just throwing the four "feet" in the packaging, so customers can either fit them on
or not .... if they want to use the 2 inch velcro on the bottom ?
Many companies do this ( optional sticky feet )
Very best of luck with them BTW

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com