More distorion for Boss BD-2? (Keeley standard + phat mod)

Started by gulliver, April 28, 2006, 08:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gulliver

I did the following keeley mod, but the distortion is very low (even when all the way up); any mod to increase it? Note, level output can boost very high, but that doesn't increase the distortion except for it hitting the amp harder. I like to use it at around unity gain.

Keeley BD-2 standard + phat mod [mouser.com part numbers]:
C1, C15, C6, C13, C7  10UF TANTALUM (I had these)
C14, C34  .1UF METAL FILM [5989-250V.1-F]
C36, C35  .047 METAL FILM [5989-250V.047-F]
C20, C25  100PF SILVER MICA  [5982-15-500V100]
C21, C23  47PF SILVER MICA [5982-5-300V47]
C22  220PF SILVER MICA  [5982-15-500V220]
C100 (ON TONE POT CIRCUITBOARD)  .033UF, .068UF
[5989-250V.033-F] [5989-250V.068-F]
D9 – install jumper

Jobet

If I remember correctly, the BD2 uses 2 sets of 1n4148 diodes, wired in two's in series then in parallel to each other.

If you want more "squeezed out" distortion sound, jumper two of those diodes, one on each side. Try it, you don't even have to remove them to see how it changes your sound.  If it's too squeezed out, remove one of the jumpers. Or replace one set of series'ed 1n4148's with one LED. The combinations are endless.

wampcat1

seems like something isn't right... the bd-2 keeley mod should have quite a bit of gain on tap!
bw

JDoyle

Me thinks when you installed the jumper for D9, you jumpered the entire string of diodes.

I don't know it all that well but with two discrete op amps, you should have plenty of gain.

Something I always wanted to try if I were to find a used pedal cheap would be to switch the outside lug connections on one of the pots, then as you turn the gain knob, one op amp's gain goes up while the other goes down...

Dingus

Sorry for posting in an old topic, but has anyone confirmed what markv said about D10 needing to be a 1N4001?  I just did this mod (at least the other steps listed) this past weekend, but just now found this thread mentioning D10. Does anyone own an actual Keeley-Modified BD-2 that can confirm this?

ayayay!

Hey Dingus my man!  Is that you from the Bossarea forum?  I haven't been by there in a couple years...

I can take a look at all this when I get home tonight.

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Dingus

ayayay!

We spoke on the phone a couple years ago.  And yes, I finally got that CS-3 mod sounding incredibly good! 

I'll talk with you later!
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

ayayay!

I just read the entire thread and looked at the schem.  I don't know anything about the Keeley mod for this, but D10 can be whatever you want.  1n400x is fine.  I understand jumping D9 for asymmetric clipping, but I would just use different types rather that jumping it.  That's just me.  Sorry I guess I'm not much help after all.