Need help compiling some c source code

Started by Andre, April 30, 2006, 05:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andre

I recently build the guitar tuner described here: http://www.myplace.nu/avr/gtuner/

Since I don't have a c-compiler i mailed the guy that designed the tuner and he sent me the hex code
to program in the AVR.
I did  some testing and  found out that the input signal needs to be amplified and filtered some more.
After I put a compressor and a booster in the signal path I was able to tune the B- and high E string.

Then I connected a tone generator and discovered a bug in the software.
The circuit responded to frequency's twice as high as the open strings frequency's.
Checking the source code confirmed this.

I emailed the guy again, but he's not willing to compile the corrected source code again.

I downloaded WinAVR and did some reading, but it looks too difficult for me.
I also downloaded Atmels AVR Studio, but this won't start.

So now I'm  wondering if someone  else is willing to compile the corrected sourcecode for me
for the at90s2323p

I still have to find a solution for the poor sensitivity, but I think this can be a cheap and easy to build guitar tuner.
The only problem is that the used avr is now obsolete, but it can probably be substituted by another more recent type of avr.

Any help is really appreciated.

Andre

bioroids

Hi

I can compile it if you send me the source code.

Anyway you should give WinAVR and Studio 4 another try because it is very easy to use, and if you are going to do changes to the source code, well, you will need to compile a lot.

What kind of programmer are you using?

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

The Tone God

Quote from: Andre on April 30, 2006, 05:48:07 PM
Since I don't have a c-compiler i mailed the guy that designed the tuner and he sent me the hex code
to program in the AVR.

That was quite nice of him. :)

I did  some testing and  found out that the input signal needs to be amplified and filtered some more.
After I put a compressor and a booster in the signal path I was able to tune the B- and high E string.

The explanation and schematic tell you that you need a amplifier stage to get the signal high enough to trigger the input.

Then I connected a tone generator and discovered a bug in the software.
The circuit responded to frequency's twice as high as the open strings frequency's.
Checking the source code confirmed this.

So change it.

I emailed the guy again, but he's not willing to compile the corrected source code again.

Jesper is a busy guy. He doesn't have the time to hold everyone's hand. I would be alittle annoyed too if someone was bothering me to do the work they don't want to do. That includes learning.

I downloaded WinAVR and did some reading, but it looks too difficult for me.
I also downloaded Atmels AVR Studio, but this won't start.

Nobody said this was easy. As for your AVR Studio issue you have not given enough information to give any suggestions.

So now I'm  wondering if someone  else is willing to compile the corrected sourcecode for me
for the at90s2323p

Not very DIY is it ? How about asking some questions to learn how to do it yourself ? That would be more beneficial for all.

The only problem is that the used avr is now obsolete, but it can probably be substituted by another more recent type of avr.

I covered the issues of this project in another thread:

http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=41211.0

Andrew

Andre

Bioroids, thanks very much for your offer.
If you could pm me your emailaddress I will send the changed code to you.

I use a programmer at work that accepts intel hex or motorola s19 format.

I will get back to WinAVR or Studio 4 later.
Which one do you recommend ?

Right now i'm finishing a multi fx board (with built in tuner I hope).
Since I'm very eager to start using this new board, I don't have the patience at this moment
to master the skills of programming AVR.

André

Andre

Andrew,

I don't ask to build the circuit. I did it myself.
I don't ask to modify the circuit, I will do it myself.
I don't ask to test the circuit, I will do it myself.
I don't ask to correct the source code, I did that myself.
I don't ask to program the AVR, I will do it myself.
I don't ask for sarcasm, I'm being sarcastic myself.

I only ask to compile some c-code.

Anyway, have a nice day.

André

The Tone God

Ok then.

I will make the suggestion of going over to AVRfreaks as the project was originally posted there and Jesper is an active member. Also they have a sub-forum dedicated to AVR Studio which is monitored by Atmel's development team. They could help you with your AVR Studio issue(s).

Make sure to make use of their forum's search function first as it is VERY useful. Just a word of warning, they probably won't take too kindly to you asking to have code compiled for you.

Andrew

Andre

Please allow me to tell what happened to me today.

This morning when I entered the office I work for, I was congratulated by a lot of  my colleagues., because today I work exactly 25 years for this company.
I got flowers and a nice cake, big enough to share with about 80 people.
Which I did.
After this I read my emails and after that I checked this forum to see if there were
any replies to my last post.
There were 2 of them.  A real nice one and a sort of grumpy one.

Since i am in the habit of doing favors instead of asking for favors, this second reply at that time, hit the wrong string and kind of ruined the good start of this day.

As I had already done the troubleshooting and knew the solution to the problem, I did not see any problem in asking someone else to help me compiling the corrected sourcecode. 
The only  reason for not doing it myself is that I cannot wait to hear my completed
multi-effects board and I expected it to take a very long time to learn to use WINAVR or AVR Suite. This was a mistake I guess.

All of his eventually lead to me writing a grumpy reply to you Andrew, for which I apologize.

Now I will take your advice and go over to the AVRFreaks forum.

André