Dr. Boogey with Graphic EQ's: Help please

Started by dano12, May 01, 2006, 03:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dano12

I recently finished my Dr. Boogey build. I love the tone, but I'm not thrilled with the tone stack.

Then I read this thread:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=44797.0

where R.G. said:

"Not many people will ever take the time to try it, but one of the most flexible distortion setups ever conceived is a distortion stage sandwiched between a graphic EQ both before and after. You can spend hours tinkering with ever-more fascinating distortion sounds."

So I want to figure out how to dump the tone stack and replace it a graphic EQ in front and at the end. I've already un-housed a few Dano Fish & Chips Graphic EQ pedals and poked them in and out of several test-bed circuits. The F&C also has a level control. So.....

Would it be as simple as this?

I guess my question is that if the F&C has a level control, do I need the 1 Meg volume pot? Any ideas?

bancika

Most likely you won't need Master because you can control it with second EQ level...but it can't hurt if you put it :)
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

dano12

Quote from: bancika on May 01, 2006, 03:34:45 PM
Most likely you won't need Master because you can control it with second EQ level...but it can't hurt if you put it :)

I'll give it a try, thanks.

Love your Atom Amp, that blue plexiglass is beautiful!

bancika

Thanks!
Antually it wasn't my first choice, but since they didn't have kind of plastic I needed plexi was only thing left. At the end it turned out great and most people love it :)

About boogey, you can try GGG 6 band EQ. It's not complicated to build and you can probably stick everything inside one (large) hammond box. I'm rather interested in result cause I'm considering booger myself.

dano12

Quote from: bancika on May 01, 2006, 07:17:21 PM
Thanks!
Antually it wasn't my first choice, but since they didn't have kind of plastic I needed plexi was only thing left. At the end it turned out great and most people love it :)

About boogey, you can try GGG 6 band EQ. It's not complicated to build and you can probably stick everything inside one (large) hammond box. I'm rather interested in result cause I'm considering booger myself.

I had thought about the GGG circuit, but I really like the idea of slider pots. Maybe I could use slider pots on the GGG circuit? Hmmm...  Try to booger out, I think you will really like it.

bancika

Of course you can use slider pots, they are the same as regular just look different. It's cool to make it 100% DIY project. Or, you can get two Dano's, get them out of cheapo enclosure and put them into one enclosure.

343 Salty Beans

Hahaha have fun squeezing THAT in a box.  :icon_biggrin:

dano12

Quote from: 343 Salty Beans on May 01, 2006, 08:52:06 PM
Hahaha have fun squeezing THAT in a box.  :icon_biggrin:

After the fuzzlab, the dual eq/boogey will be a cakewalk. Could probably do it with my eyes closed :)

dano12

RaceDriver205

I thought of a good idea!
Boss's top end effects machine has a way of mixing different types of distortion together (i.e a Ge Fuzz and an Overdrive). Not only this but it can send one to one channel and one the another. So you can get a stereo sound with 2 separate distortions.
You could make a mixer that can do this :

• Mix 2+2 Stereo
  • Mix 1+1 Stereo
  • Mix 4 Mono
That would make it awesome. (The Boss machine has sound clips on their site if you want to hear this)

343 Salty Beans