DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Perrow

My stompbox wiki -> http://rumbust.net

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jasonmatthew911

Jasonmatthew911

Quote from: bancika on April 25, 2011, 04:57:09 AM
File a request here and I'll add them when I have a chance
http://code.google.com/p/diy-layout-creator/issues/list

Perrow made me realize I had to double click on the components to get more options, I hadn't messed with it enough....But it would still be nice to have more schematic symbols, for drawing schematics, like the ones I mentioned:

*IC symbol
*Zener diode symbol
*LED symbol
*Ferrite Bead symbol
*JFET symbol
*Ability to draw lines w/ arrows (For GND and variable resistor symbols in schematics)

* Stereo & Mono jack symbols for Layouts
*DC Power Jack symbol w/ 3 lugs for Layouts

Great easy to use software by the way, thanks again for doing this...

Perrow

Pretty much anything you place on the work area can be double clicked and has some options.

Keep this site live and ad free, donate a dollar or twenty (and add this link to your sig)

Jasonmatthew911

Ok, I made a few Vero layouts, and everytime I would start typing Text from the Misc. Box, the program would close out of nowhere...After reopening several times and re-typing my text, now I go to open one of my layouts and It says that it could not open it, to check the Log folder I think...I don't get this, will I not be able to recuperate my layout now?....What can I do, anything?...Is this a glitch in the beta version?

Jasonmatthew911

Also, What is the Normal way to close the program?...I keep getting a message saying that the program wasn't closed normally, and if I want to open the auto-saved file from the previous session.....Every time I go open my layout, it says that it could not be opened and the Check the Log for details, what's this mean?...I'd hate to lose that layout...Help.

Jasonmatthew911

Could my problem have something to do with using fonts that are unknown to this program?...Because all my fonts that I have in my computer came out as options to use, but a lot of times when I would use my fonts the program would close on me...In my Log I just noticed it saying "Unknown Source" many times around the end, this is why I'm assuming that maybe the unknown fonts caused the problem....So is my layout a damaged file now, or can I save it somehow?

mistahead

Is there a way to force the labelling of components despite the fact they've been shortened to minimum?

For instance the Q1 and Q2 are labelled as it "fits" however the remainder of the components there are R1, C5 etc and do not display the label/name.
http://img535.imageshack.us/i/qadato01.png/

It could be muppetry on my behalf but I wasn't turning up anything looking at the manual...

Perrow

bancika

Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on May 01, 2011, 11:12:56 PM
Also, What is the Normal way to close the program?...I keep getting a message saying that the program wasn't closed normally, and if I want to open the auto-saved file from the previous session.....Every time I go open my layout, it says that it could not be opened and the Check the Log for details, what's this mean?...I'd hate to lose that layout...Help.

when you open that file normally does it show up ok?
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Jasonmatthew911

Quote from: bancika on May 02, 2011, 04:46:40 AM

Every time I try to open this file, I only keep getting the message that says "Could not open file,  such and such, to check the Log for details...It use to show up ok, but a lot of times I would get a message as soon as I opened the program saying that the last session wasn't closed normally, and if I want to open what was auto-saved, but I usually press save and then just quit the program...Besides this, why is it that every time I would start typing text on to the layout, using the text box where I can change fonts in Misc., the program would close unexpectedly, is it the unknown source of the fonts or is there still a glitch in this part of the program?

Seven64

i just downloaded this, and its giving me a permission error in linux :(

bancika

Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on May 02, 2011, 12:44:01 PM

Every time I try to open this file, I only keep getting the message that says "Could not open file,  such and such, to check the Log for details...It use to show up ok, but a lot of times I would get a message as soon as I opened the program saying that the last session wasn't closed normally, and if I want to open what was auto-saved, but I usually press save and then just quit the program...Besides this, why is it that every time I would start typing text on to the layout, using the text box where I can change fonts in Misc., the program would close unexpectedly, is it the unknown source of the fonts or is there still a glitch in this part of the program?

auto restore shows up if you have another instance of DIYLC running (I'll fix that). Ignore that box and open the file manually from file -> open and see if that changes.
As for the text, lots of people have that problem on mac, which Os are you using?
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

Jasonmatthew911

Quote from: bancika on May 02, 2011, 04:53:30 PM
Quote from: Jasonmatthew911 on May 02, 2011, 12:44:01 PM

auto restore shows up if you have another instance of DIYLC running (I'll fix that). Ignore that box and open the file manually from file -> open and see if that changes.
As for the text, lots of people have that problem on mac, which Os are you using?

I've been trying to open my file manually, by going to File and Open after opening the program, but I keep getting the same Error message, that says, "It could not open file such and such, check the Log for details"....I'm using OS X 10.6.6.....Would you say that I've already lost that file and I should just do it again, or do you know a way to save what I did???....Thanks for the help...

Jasonmatthew911

I just decided to redo my vero layout that I lost, no big deal...

Is there a way to print the layout slightly bigger or a zoomed version of it, so that it doesn't come out so small on paper???

mistahead

I found outputting to PDF, Zooming to the layout and then printing current view to be VERY good for this.

vendettav

ok guys, when i make a strip board all thecomponents are quite huge comparred to the board. I have to manually go edit them and make their measurements in cm so that they'll get relatively normal sized. is there a fix for this?

and also how do you put a standing resistor. as if one side is very short and is soldered to the board and the other pin is long and is bowed down to solder to the next hole - the resistor is standing up you know
check my music HERE

Shredtastic psycho metal!

Perrow

Quote from: vendettav on May 03, 2011, 03:07:56 AM
ok guys, when i make a strip board all thecomponents are quite huge comparred to the board. I have to manually go edit them and make their measurements in cm so that they'll get relatively normal sized. is there a fix for this?

and also how do you put a standing resistor. as if one side is very short and is soldered to the board and the other pin is long and is bowed down to solder to the next hole - the resistor is standing up you know

When you've edited the size of one component, check the little tickbox next to the value (to the right) and that will set the value as the default.

Resistors should be stood on end when it's needed just move the end points in closer till it stands.

Edit: clarification.

deadastronaut

whats happened to version 2?...i prefer it to 3...i like to see the component list drag n drop...but thats just me!.. ;)

it wont open?...i get : could not find the mainclass diylc...blah blah...

cheers.

edit:...sorted...i dint unzip it.. :icon_redface: :icon_rolleyes: :icon_mrgreen:

edit:...hmm..tried 3 again....not keen on the component sizing..as vendetta said....(and as perrow explained)...
shouldnt it just be as standard size...resistors/caps etc....moan moan moan... :icon_mrgreen:
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Perrow

I'm actually more interested in what's happening to V3. Rob, stick with it, it'll grow on you if you try it for a while.

I actually tried to setup the development environment for V3, but my Java knowledge is not what it should be (at least to understand what I have to do to get this working), Bancika could you whip up a quick setup guide (and possibly a screenshot of how it's supposed to look)? At one point I got to where I could compile, but some things where still not working properly, so I did something and now I can't anymore.