DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluetubes

Bancika.....I am blown away!  :o  This is truly a fantastic program.  Great job!!!   :icon_cool:

bancika

Quote from: RLBJR65 on June 20, 2006, 08:21:12 PM
On the web page it would be nice to have a revision # or some other way to tell if a layout had been updated in any way.
Thanks
Richard

hmmm, revision number won't mean much to users because that means they have to remember last revision. Maybe date is better  :icon_rolleyes: but anyway something needs to be added there :)

bluetubes, thanks  :icon_cool:
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

RLBJR65

I can't seem to submit layouts now. When I try I get a message telling me to check my internet connection. It happened last night and again this morning.

Richard

Richard Boop

d@vide

Hi Bancika,
a better solution is a version in the file name like diyLC_1_10 or something like that...
when I download the file instantly I know if is a newer version or not ... isn't it  :)

ciao Marwatt

bancika

well, for something it is better and for something it isn't. If I submit program to download sites I have to specify fixed file name. When someone tries to download it from other sites he'll get older version. I think the best solution is to put release date on program download page.

stumper1

Bancika,

Getting better all the time!!! ;)  Submitted a Wah layout - it would be nice to submit when "I" want to NOT when the program asks - I sometimes click "OK" when I don't mean to.  Submitted the Wah twice - the second one is the right one - and IS VERIFIED (see picture thread).

I noticed that you cannot scroll down on a page (or can you?).  The Wah layout was big enought that I could not see the parts list to verify it before submitting.  Had to "render image" and view it that way to verify it.

I still can't print PnP from my laptop to my laser printer w/out rendering first.  I'm pretty sure this is MY problem as I seem to be able to print to the Inkjet on my OTHER computer with no problems.

Any word on a "SELECT ALL" function? ;)

Thanks,
Deric 8)
DericĀ®

bancika

Hi,
I've added "Submit Layout" option right next to "Layouts Online" so you can submit whenever you want. Select All has been added in last release but had some bugs. Everything's fixed now but I didn't upload it yet.
Edit: thanks for layout, I added it. Just few tips: if board was horizontal it would be easier to see everything. Next, IC1 isn't really an IC, so putting " " (space) as component name will make it only gray rectangle without IC1 writing on it. I changed that for ya.
Scrolling is impossible at the moment unfortunately
Cheers

RLBJR65

I see you added a date on the web page :icon_biggrin:

I resubmitted the last 2 pcb layouts, no major changes. I had listed the pad connections instead of trying to put text at the board. Only problem was that I used the grid numbers and letters as the pad locations and those do not show when you render the image.

Simple fix, I just number the pads.

Thanks
Richard
Richard Boop

bancika

Interesting, I noticed the same thing when I opened your layout. It made me wonder if coordinates should be rendered also on output image :)

mydementia

Would be a nice option to create a print with coordinates...good reference for large perf/vero layouts.

Regarding software revision tracking - if you added a 'last updated on' date to the download page, we'd all be able to know instantaly if it had changed since our last install.  I think this would meet everyone's needs.

Thanks again for all your work!  I'm looking forward to off-board wiring capability to show switching - such a pain to do in Excel!  Will the component list be moveable once the off-board wiring capability is added?  Just popped into my head.

Thanks again.
Mike

RLBJR65

I don't think that it would really be necessary with pcb's. It was easy enough just to number the pads then make a list of the connections. Maybe with vero and perf? Say someone who does not have or use the program gets a rendered image it might be usefull then. Or maybe troubleshooting / mods you could use them as a reference point.

Can't hurt, I guess if it is not that difficult go ahead and do it. However if it's a big change I really would not worry about it. I can't see how it would be that helpfull in most cases.

My 2 cents.
Richard
Richard Boop

bancika

well it's not hard to da at all. Same routine paint on screen and renders. And there's one condition that says "if you render for screen then print coordinates", I'll just change condition :)
Resealse date has been added to site
Regards!

bancika

What do you guys think of this idea: "Check for Update" feature that would list all new features between installed version and last released version? Is it worth doing?

markm

Quote from: bancika on June 23, 2006, 10:54:39 AM
What do you guys think of this idea: "Check for Update" feature that would list all new features between installed version and last released version? Is it worth doing?

I think that is a fantastic idea!
Banicka, Your software is superb for doing layouts and has helped me in
learning how to read schematics and layout circuits.
Thank you very much for your help!!!
    MarkM

bancika

Ok then, I'll try to do it asap. I'm not feeling too well last two days so I'm able to do anything usefull (can't even sleep  :icon_sad:)
By the way, markM, you gave me idea to design next project (Matchless Hotbox), your etched boxes look great. Just I don't like etching too much (never got decent results with PCBs) and will try to do it with local engravement company (either with laser or CNC router). Here's a peek :)

bancika

I uploaded new version with "check for update" function. I think it's pretty much intelligent, lists only features that are added/changed between  installed and last version. So if you skipped few updates it'll list all features you miss. And I won't have to post here every time I upload it. Besides that I fixed all noticed multi-select related bugs
Cheers

markm

Quote from: bancika on June 23, 2006, 02:34:39 PM
Ok then, I'll try to do it asap. I'm not feeling too well last two days so I'm able to do anything usefull (can't even sleep  :icon_sad:)
By the way, markM, you gave me idea to design next project (Matchless Hotbox), your etched boxes look great. Just I don't like etching too much (never got decent results with PCBs) and will try to do it with local engravement company (either with laser or CNC router). Here's a peek :)

I like it!!!
Engraving is a great idea!
That's out of my realm however ;)

bancika

Still not sure if I'll do it that way because I've heard that this company is very expensive. My previous engravement projects in plexi are done in other company which is very cheap but their laser is weak for metal :(

mydementia

Just made a PCB for Paul Nelson's CitrusGraphicMKII (ORANGE) preamp emu.  I had to do some post-processing, so the layout/schem is in this Excel file:
http://www.freewebs.com/mydementia/DIY%5FStompboxes/ORANGE/OrangeMKII%5Fmydementia.xls

I downloaded the latest software this morning and created the layout. 

Here are my observations:
1) It doesn't like circuits of this size.  Towards the end of the layout, everything I did pegged my processor and had a substantial delay.
2) Moving 'all' (using CTRL-A) doesn't work (thus, my layout is down 2 rows).  It would be nice if the user could adjust the board after the layout is complete.
3) It would be nice if the text was more mobile.  As you can see, it's difficult to make out text over the Pads, etc.

Here's the file if someone wants to check it out.
http://www.freewebs.com/mydementia/DIY%5FStompboxes/ORANGE/OrangeMKII%5FPCBr0.diy
I'm going to try to build the thing this weekend - so if anyone sees a major f-up on my part, please let me know.
Mike