DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

thanks, blue. I unchecked "run in a shell", now don't see the guff flowing, so there is no problem anymore.
don't make me draw another line.

CodeMonk

Quote from: bancika on January 28, 2015, 03:56:47 PM
anyone using DIYLC 3.x under windows 8?

My mom has Windows 8 on her computer.
I've got to do some work on it tonight (Well, install new ink cartridges in her printer then print out her tax return documents).
I'll give it a go tonight.
Anything in particular you want me to try?

Edit:
Update...
First I had to install Java on my moms computer.
Windows 8.1
Latest version of DIYLC 3.28.0
Ran DIYLC
Works fine
Edited a Big Muff Layout
Created a few diode templates
The Alpha function works fine
The Outline option, which I had trouble with on my Windows 7 system works on Windows 8 fine.
But its also now working on my Windows 7 system, so maybe it was an issue with an earlier version of Java.

bancika

thanks!

I got an issue report that it fails to start under win8, so just wanted to check if it's something about that particular computer or win8 in general.

Cheers,
Bane
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

CodeMonk

It didn't start at first, but Java wasn't installed.
After Java install, it worked fine
And it was Windows 8.1
Dunno if 8.0 vs 8.1 makes a difference.

bancika

The user in question has the latest java 1.8.0.31. Did you get the same?

CodeMonk

Whatever version they had on 2015-02-08 when I made that post.
I can check later tonight.

bancika

Jmsteele187

Am I missing something here?  I tried to download the software last night, and got a fail message.  It said I didn't have proper permission to download.  Am I doing something wrong?  I have to admit, I'm not that great with computers.

GGBB

• SUPPORTER

Jmsteele187

Quote from: GGBB on April 16, 2015, 01:56:35 PM
I can download it fine from here: http://diy-layout-creator.googlecode.com/files/diylc-3.28.0.zip.

Proper permission to download or to save?
maybe I just don't know what I'm doing.  I think I was trying to download it from the same page.  I did download a bunch of file, but couldn't open anything.

MrBinns

dude i use this progam!

I installed it on my ubuntu partition like a year ago(maybe). I used it to model my big muff and mods for a new board.

idk it was a diystompboxer who made it. very cool

Thanks its great!

bancika

duck_arse

bancika - I hope this hasn't been covered elsewhere, but, can we request the addition of a basic breadboard to the 'boards' menu-bar? there have been a few new-to-breadboarders having trouble coming to grips with layouts, and a diagram might be a useful teaching tool, seeing as all the other stuff is already there.

GGBB

There already is a "breadboard" board in v3.28. Note to users that the breadboard inherits the project's grid spacing (makes sense) so make sure that is set to 0.1".
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

ahh, see, it was a good idea. thanks, ggbb, I see it now. it has eluded my eyes all these staring hours, somehow.

bancika

Just a heads up. Google is killing the google code system where DIYLC is hosted. I have migrated to github. Going forward, this will be the new home of DIYLC https://github.com/bancika/diy-layout-creator
diylc.org is re-pointed to forward there.

Cheers,
bane

snarblinge

b.

snarblinge.tumblr.com

hymenoptera

Just installed this. Been playing with it for about 20 minutes. Wish I'd known about this years ago! Now I know where all these great layouts come from! Looking fwd to using this instead of graph paper to layout my perf projects.

Is there a dedicated thread here for libraries and templates people have made and shared, or do I have to read through 130 pages of posts to catch up on ten years worth of news?

And of course: Thank you bancika, for such a wonderful tool!
"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth

GGBB

There isn't an import/export feature for components in DIYLC, although it's easy enough to do just by opening a project and using the Save as Template feature. And if you know a little XML you could easily copy and paste component templates into the config file.

That being said I don't recall anyone sharing any of their customizations in the last few years that I've been watching this thread.
  • SUPPORTER

hymenoptera

I see now that the user just customizes everything their own needs. So far I've made separate templates for DO-41, DO-35, and DO-7 diodes, for instance, and they don't look half bad. But, now I've gone and screwed up the color of my perf board, and then fixed it, so many times that I forget what the color was originally lol! I guess it was the same as it is in the tabs above. I'm just trying to find a look that gives good contrast and readability.

A couple of quick questions (I have many more I'm sure, so if this isn't the place, someone tell me):

*What happened to the toolboxes I see in older versions? Have these been dropped in favor of the tabs? Is there a way to customize the tabs beyond just adding templates?

*Are there any hotkeys/shortcuts for the config options, etc? Like toggling Continuous Creation for instance? I'd like to be able to tap C or hold down Alt or whatever to toggle that one.

*Tab shortcuts? I'd like to have a quick key press jump between tabs, or at least be able to build my own custom tab instead of relying on the Recent tab to find things quickly.

*Is there a way to adjust the "roundness" of objects? For instance I'd like to square-up my radial capacitors and color them red to represent WIMAs, while I'd like to round-off my DO-7 diode style to look more like a glass sealed Germanium.

Thanks for a great tool! I look forward to laying out my next perf project on this program, and maybe even sharing some of my own designs with the community!

"Radio Shack has nothing for anyone who's serious about electronics." - Jeri Ellsworth