DIY Layout Creator - software for easy drawing PCB, vero and perfboard layouts

Started by bancika, May 01, 2006, 08:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bancika

Tnx  8)
Jim: Well, you can make "trace knees" using two traces with no problem. At any angle

I'm now working on printing directly to PnP, so I'll post lates compiled version later today
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

rockgardenlove

Quote from: JimRayden on May 10, 2006, 10:25:20 AM
Wow, PCB support too! Great! This is coming along nicer and faster than I would have thought.

One should be able to create a trace "knee" (a 90-degree turn) without a solder pad. And of course use the same point-to-point system as with components and jumpers. Hmm, a modifiabler solder pad size and trace width would be excellent too.

------------
Jimbo

Yeah, also, it might be nice if for the PCB the snap-to dots were closer together, sometimes you need to make a very compact PCB.

mat

Hi!

Does this software support windows 2000 ? It works on my hope XP system but not on the Windows 2000. The arrow does not change in to hand when moving over a hole to put a part on.

Thank You bancika for the great tool  :icon_cool:

mat

bancika

mat, it should work under win2K, it's very similar to winXP. In fact, I didn't use any version dependent code for it.
There is one "bug" that doesn't allow two leads into same hole, maybe you had that case. (I'll fix that).

rockgardenlove, it's difficult to make denser snap-to-dots because that would break "unique design" concept which now works. C'mon, 2.54mm is close enough :) As for moddable trace width and pad size, it's ok. I can use "Value" field for that. Good suggestion.

hairyandy

Bancika, not that it probably matters much but for the sake of programming knowledge, it doesn't seem to work with Windows 98SE either.  At least under VPC on my Powerbook, which may be part of the problem.  I'm having the same problem as Mat, it doesn't allow me to click on any hole.  I can select a part but it won't let me place it.  I need to configure my XP installation in VPC for drag n' drop so I can check out if that works any better.  I'll report back and let you know.  Honestly, I don't think it should have to work with anything pre-XP as most people should be running that by now anyway. (sorry Mat!)

When I reported earlier that it was working under VPC on my Mac I jumped the gun.  I'll do some more testing and get back to you...

Thanks again Bancika, this program is going to be baddass!
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

bancika

Ok, there's a chance that it might work after I rewrite hole detection routine. It's very stupid now.
And I'll send it to my friend to test it on WinME

bancika

Ok, here's new build for testers http://storm-software.co.yu/DIYLayout.exe
New stuff to test:

• context sensitive menus, options change when you change layout type
  • someone please try Print PnP because I don't have printer, measure if distance between nodes is 2.54mm
  • new hole detection routine, mouse area is now larger. try if it works under older Windows
  • making PCBs, try playing with pad size and trace width. when you select trace or pad in explorer it turns red on layout so you can know which one is it
  • image rendering
  • uploading layouts, program will ask you when project is saved
  • parts list is automatically generated below board
  • right click on component in explorer opens context menu. double click opens edit dialog

ezanker

Very nice program!!!

I 've been playing around with the latest version and noticed that if you resize the board smaller eliminating holes that are already used, the component stays in the white space:

Probably these components should be automatically deleted.

pyrop

Quote from: mat on May 10, 2006, 11:23:45 AM
Hi!

Does this software support windows 2000 ? It works on my hope XP system but not on the Windows 2000. The arrow does not change in to hand when moving over a hole to put a part on.

Thank You bancika for the great tool  :icon_cool:

mat
I had the same problem running it on XP but all is fine with the latest version.

Anyways great work Bancika.
Now that you have added PCB layouts to it I will be using this program all the time.
Bravo!

pyrop ;D

JimRayden

Everything is working swell!

A note about image rendering: enable two rendering modes for PCB: with parts and without. Reversing would also some in handy when printing on pnp. Either enable the parts/print as different modes or together in one render.

I have a feeling this prog will gain lots of fame around here and will be our main thing to draw layouts. Great work, bancika! Can't wait to see more of it.

[edit] When I double click and edit the component's name, it doesn't change in the Explorer. I also don't like the fact that it automatically deletes the previous Component Value as I double click to edit it.

------------
Jimbo

bancika

Well, there is PnP print, I don't see why would someone need PnP render when it's only used to print for transfer. My plan is to make .DIY format exchangable and not image format because it will have some advantages:
-you can easily modify layout
-for some new features I plan ("node connection checker", or something)
-you have layout, parts list and PnP transfer in same file
-.DIY file is approx. 10 times smaller than GIF and even more than JPG
So for layout gallery I plan to make on my site, .DIY filles will be available for download.
As for reversing, it's not needed for PnP. Orientation is the same for PnP transfer and board layout when you look board from side whith no copper. I'm 99% sure about that  ;D

rockgardenlove

I'd like a renderer too...sometimes I put my PCB's on a memory stick and have them printed at a print shop...

JimRayden

Oh yeah sorry, no reversing needed.

But it would still be cool to export it as an image. Perhaps I need to print several on one page. It would be helluva easier to implement a PnP image export than to start handling several .diy's at once.

Then again, I use transparent film instead of PnP, so I wouldn't know, would I?  :D

------------
Jimbo

bancika

Ok, I'll think about that  ;)
I just implented Text entry so user can add comments or something (and for labeling outside connections)

JimRayden

Sorry for the frequent posting.

About the pad and trace selecting. Okay, as components carry numbers on them, selecting them from the list is simple. But if you've got a whole bunch of pads and traces on your PCB layout, it's a pain in the bum to select them one by one in the Explorer searching and hoping for the right one to turn red. Would a usual arrow-modebe difficult to put in? A select-mode. So you could point and click on a component or a trace or a pad and hit delete. I understand if it's too difficult but something has to be done... I can't think of any other solution right now, any suggestions?

-----------
Jimbo

bancika

The thing is: everything is painted on a canvas - one visual component. So it's difficult to analyze layout structure in order to find out what's under mouse point, especially because there can be more than one component on the same place (e.g. trace cut and jumper). Maybe it will be possible sometimes, but for now I don't think it's too complicated to locate your pad. List is sorted by type, so you need only to click on first and press down arrow on keyboard to select next. With 100 pads it shouldn't take more than one minute, worst case scenario :)
Any chance of making icons soon? I made file association, so now double click on files opens it.

rockgardenlove

I can make an icon...what sizes?  16x16 and 32x32?

bancika

Here are current icons. Main icon is made by JimRayden (thanks!), and I made file icons.

if someone can do better just do it :)

JimRayden

I messaged you about some more ideas on the main icon.

I'd advise putting a chip on the filetype icon, it'll be clearer than the resistor variant. I can try it out in a few hours or so.

----------
Jimbo

bancika

Hey guys, I need your help choosing main program icon.

I'm kinda indifferent, so we'll count votes and decite which one to use :)
Tnx  ;)