How to have more clarity and less medium in TS-808?

Started by ANDYEFFECT, May 02, 2006, 09:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ANDYEFFECT

How to have more clarity and less medium in TS-808? 
I already tried several modifications that didn't give effect. 

how do I do to have more clarity and less medium in TS-808? 
I want him to work like LTD, without altering the emblem of the instrument a lot. 

Thankful.

petemoore

I 'see' it as you want more sizzle on the very treble, and same or a bit less mids?
  A resistor with a paralleled cap across it, in the signal path is one thing I might try. BSIAB does that, as do other circuits, check around and look for an R with paralleled C...The BSIAB I think uses a 470k / 470pf...kinda big...maybe take the 0's off and have 47k / 47pf...
  Just ramble/typing here...but that's one approach to 'leak a little treble across' and cut everything else a bit [too much cut?]...I think...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Mark Hammer

Build a different pedal.  The question you ask is like asking "How do I turn my Volkswagon convertible into a pickup truck?"  or "How do I turn my girlfriend into a guy so we can go to sporting events together?".  You CAN do it, but it is probably better to just let the 808 be itself and use a different circuit to do what you want. 

ANDYEFFECT

Quote from: petemoore on May 02, 2006, 09:25:11 AM
  I 'see' it as you want more sizzle on the very treble, and same or a bit less mids?
  A resistor with a paralleled cap across it, in the signal path is one thing I might try. BSIAB does that, as do other circuits, check around and look for an R with paralleled C...The BSIAB I think uses a 470k / 470pf...kinda big...maybe take the 0's off and have 47k / 47pf...
  Just ramble/typing here...but that's one approach to 'leak a little treble across' and cut everything else a bit [too much cut?]...I think...

yes I want less medium and more transparency, non treble.

goosonique

...the .22uf tone cap c9 and cap to ground c5 after first op-amp stage reduced  . ... go with the Boss SD value. ;)
check here : http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=1136
<((one man with courage makes a majority))>

petemoore

I bought me a new 20 dolla EQ pedal, works great for dialing in pretty precisely what frequencies I want...to feed the pedal / to accentuate/attenuate after the pedal.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

markm

A little off topic maybe but, in relation to what Mark says,
how about the OD-250 circuit.
Has great sound, is a simple build and may be more what you want.
I love the OD-250 but then again, I have NEVER had any attraction to the 808.
I'm just not an Tubescreamer type of guy.
  MarkM

ANDYEFFECT

if I increase 51pf for 120pf does it help to reduce highs? 
if I remove tone control does it also improve answer for a more natural overdrive? 
thankful.

Mark Hammer

Quote from: ANDYEFFECT on May 02, 2006, 03:34:04 PM

if I increase 51pf for 120pf does it help to reduce highs? 
With C=51pf, highs are rolled off around 5.6khz in that stage at maximum gain.  With C=120pf, they are rolled off around 2.4khz in the same stage.
if I remove tone control does it also improve answer for a more natural overdrive? 
thankful.
It does not produce a more "natural overdrive" but with a 120pf cap in the first stage the tone control will be almost useless since there will be much less treble for it to control.  A bit like having a nice hairbrush...for a bald man.
If you don't need that treble, or need the tone control, you can always use the extra op-amp for a volume booster.  Replace the 1k feedback resistor with a 10k resistor.  Replace the .22uf tantalum tone cap with a 1uf unit.  Replace the 220R resistor with 2k2.  Cut the connection between the 20k tone pot and the + input pin of the second op-amp stage.  That will give you an extra boost of up to around x5.5 so that you can set the pedal for low drive but still get a big boost to push the amp.

twabelljr

Shine On !!!

Roobin

I think I remember reading something on Muzique.com about making the TS 'Fat'

ANDYEFFECT

yesterday I did make some tests, and do lower 1k of
the 0.22 and did sound sound have more clarity (am I correct?), was the
sound very similar with Barber, what does influence the 1k/220n?