uC programming for Macs???

Started by goodrevdoc, May 02, 2006, 05:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goodrevdoc

Hi. Did a search and couldn't find anything, but i was wondering, is there soft/hardware that makes uC programming possible on a mac? Sorry if this is a silly question, but this is the main thing that's been stopping me from learning about this kind of thing.
-justin

The Tone God

The vast majority of uC software is for winblows. There are a few pieces here and there for Macs. I think GNU-GCC for AVRs is ported to Mac although I don't think there is an active maintainer. Some carefully formed Google searches will turn something up.

Andrew

goodrevdoc

Thanks for the info. Thats kind of what i thought. I'll probably just get a windows computer for programming and some other things. It'll look nice next to my toaster just for english muffins... ;D
-justin

The Tone God

Thats what I usually recommend. Pick up a cheap windoze system, even a laptop, and use that for development. You don't need top of the line stuff.

Good luck.

Andrew

mike darling

If you are running OSX then avr-gcc is available. Avrdude can be compiled and you can use it to talk to serial based programmers. You will need a USB>Serial adapter and it is worth dropping the cash on a Keyspan - they just work better for some reason...

avr-gcc and avr-binutils are available as fink packages, they are VERY easy to install.

I use a STK-500 on my macbook with no problems, but any serial based programmer that works with avrdude should work fine, including the cheaper ISP hardware (diy and the Atmel one).

edit:  check out Mikey Sklar's site: http://www.electric-clothing.com/tools.html

-mike

idlefaction

Quote from: mike darling on May 03, 2006, 10:51:37 PM
avr-gcc and avr-binutils are available as fink packages, they are VERY easy to install.

Nice to see others are using avr-gcc  :-)

I can also help with figuring out how to get this to work if you need a hand.  Go community!
Darren
NZ