Testing amz mini-booster

Started by Mann, May 03, 2006, 09:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mann

I just finished amz mini-booster (bought the pc board from muzique.com) and tested it with my madamp m15mk1. It really distorted the clean channel. What I'd like to know, is it what I should be hearing?  I didn't listen to the fine details of the sound and didn't compare it to other pedals. It shouldn't overdrive a solid state amp's clean channel - or should it - I didn't test it with one yet. I just want to confirm I built it right.

petemoore

IF you're getting serious boost, and 'some' distortion..I think your build is 'right'.
  The gain can be adjusted, different transistors will shape gain structure in it.
  It distorts, 'medium or mild quite apparent...and whatever input you 'push' with it could be adding distortion also.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Pushtone

My mini-booster distorts my SS amp a lot with a nice kinda buzz saw fuzz. But its never "clean".
With a Fender twin I hear no fuzz but instead a warmer kinda clean boost with some mid-range punch.
I just got my Epi Valve Junior Head (through 4x12) and it sounds kinda gritty with the MB.

Note: all amps where set up at the same time to be the same volume (loud) by plugging the guitar in directly and setting a volume by ear. I spent like 20min setting up the amps to get them as close as possible in level and [clean] tone. The Mini-booster was set at slightly above unity gain with its knob pointing at 10 oclock. This test was done with J201s, With 2N5457 tranies everything got a little cleaner.

My conclusion - sounds good but gritty with SS amps. Really intended for tube amps, thats where it has the most character.

I didn't want to include Doug H's FireFly because its not a clean amp... but ... The MB sounds very simmilar to the FF's own cascode boost channel.

Oh and one more thing ... Regaurless of the amp, if I overdrive the MB input with a AMZ MosFET boost I can get the same buzz saw fuzz (a good sound fer sure) as with the SS amp with any amp (except the Twin it's darn hard to distort, or do I mean darn loud when it does distort?).
It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith